kernel 2.6.9 problems

I have always enjoyed upgrading to the latest and greatest kernel as soon as it comes out. It gives me good experience at compiling my own kernel and it keeps my system up to date with bug fixes and security patches. Anyway, I upgraded to kernel 2.6.9 and have had all sorts of problems. But here is the important part, now when I boot back into my 2.6.8.1 kernel (previously working fine) I receive errors from KDE at startup that kcminit and ksplash have crashed. I have not seen any performance differences but it still is never a good thing when a program crashes.

So here is my question: why would compiling a new kernel (2.6.9) affect KDE performance when booting into my old kernel (2.6.8.1)? :wall:

Same errors as described above. kcminit and ksplash crash, arts crashed (sound issues) may be due to oss not compiled because it is deprecated? No bootup verbose screen. It gets to the lilo screen where I have three options:

windows (only for my scanner)

and when I select 2.6.9 the progress bar goes past where it should and it just sits there. Not I know that it is working somewhat because I can hear it checking for new hardware. I haven't had much time to play with it. When I get home I will hit escape and type 2.6.9 5 so that I can see whatever else is wrong.

But what I really don't understand is how this could affect my kde when I boot into 2.6.8.1?

• 2 weeks later...

my experience is that most of these crashes are caused in mandrake only because there is more than one kernel present at a time. don't ask me why this is so, but my mandrake-box crashed several times, stalled or became extremely slow when i had more than one kernel in the box. the strange thing is that this did not happen with other systems.

one hint: check your log-files. most times, it is a problem of services that are trying to get started and simply stall. so, as long as you can run the draktools, you should check the running/stopped services in detail and deavtivate/activate them if necessary.

In my experience (mdk7-mdk10) I have always had more than 1 kernel (the mdk and vanilla kernels) and there were no slow downs or crashes of any kind because of this. (other than drivers loading from the wrong kernel. when moving from a new kernel to an old one like nvidia's)

my experience is that most of these crashes are caused in mandrake only because there is more than one kernel present at a time. don't ask me why this is so, but my mandrake-box crashed several times, stalled or became extremely slow when i had more than one kernel in the box. the strange thing is that this did not happen with other systems.

one hint: check your log-files. most times, it is a problem of services that are trying to get started and simply stall. so, as long as you can run the draktools, you should check the running/stopped services in detail and deavtivate/activate them if necessary.

In my experience (mdk7-mdk10) I have always had more than 1 kernel (the mdk and vanilla kernels) and there were no slow downs or crashes of any kind because of this. (other than drivers loading from the wrong kernel. when moving from a new kernel to an old one like nvidia's)

then you have been very lucky or i have had some damn bad luck. :)

When I was using Mandrake 9.2, I experimented with upgrading kernels and on one occassion had 4 different kernels and none of this caused any crashes but then of course I was using the rock solid Matrox G400 Dual head Video card. I eventually uninstalled all but one of the kernels because it they took up so much space.

Now I am using the Nvidia Video card and whenever I have attempted to use another kernel other than the original installed, I have had nothing but problems. I have tried three or four times and eventually had to do a reinstall each time because it was a hell of a lot quicker.

Mandrake 10 OE has been such a damned good stable performer that it really no big deal not being able to use an upgraded kernel.

I eventually decided it was simpler to wait until I get the 10.1-OE set of install disks in the next weeks.