How to Get GNOME Desktop with 10.0 Download

Guest Roxbury Ranger

Guest Roxbury Ranger

Hi:

Within the past couple of days, I've downloaded the public version of Mandrake 10.0 and installed it on my PC. In general, everything has gone well (including DSL installation which I thought might be a problem).

The issue I'm having involves GNOME (or rather, the lack thereof). I'm using KDE 3.2 and, while that's fine, I'd also like to have GNOME. When I try to use the installer sotfware in the Configuration area, it keeps telling me that I need "CD 4", which doesn't exist.

I have a couple of questions:

- Does GNOME come with the download distribution of 10.0 Mandrake, or only KDE? If so, how do I install it? I could swear that I selected it when I initially installed the system!

- If it doesn't come with the free distribution, how can I get it short of downloading the desktop, platform, and binding sources from gnome.org? I'm not really that competent!

BTW: I haven't used Linux since Mandrake 7.0 (I believe) and it's greatly improved! I may never reboot to Win XP again!!!! [if only I could] :wall:

What are you trying to install via the package manager? The only thing you should need to install is the package called 'gnome2'. That pulls in everything necessary. Then you should have an option to start GNOME instead of KDE on the normal login screen. If you have autologin set, you'll have to turn it off in MCC, then login to GNOME and turn it back on again.

you can find out if you already installed gnome in an easy way. open a terminal, login as root. type "urpmi gnome2" if it tells you that already is already installed, you only need to change the login manager as described above or, better yet, switch from mdkdm to kdm or gdm.

if you haven't installed it yet, go to easyurpmi, set up your mirrors as explained there and type "urpmi gnome2" or "uprmi -a gnome". thus you will get a stable, patched version of gnome.

Guest Roxbury Ranger

Thanks for both of your replies. I really appreciate it. I played around a bit in KDE and found the appropriate setting in the Boot manager. I think I'll stick with KDE for the moment.

BTW: It may be my imagination, but I suspect that KDE has significantly more GUI "overhead" than GNOME. I seemed to notice a distinct performance edge in GNOME. Am I imagining this or is it really the case?

gnome is (my personal experience on my very personal comp) a bit faster than kde and has a bit more of mac-osx feel imho. kde is more of an alternative to windows if you ask me, although it can look like a 1:1 copy of mac-osx. i find gnome more stable than kde but i don't say: take gnome. both desktops have their own pros and cons. just play around with both of these desktops. one day you will find your favorite desktop. (maybe something completely different like fluxbox :P)