Ghost and win2k image iso

jlc

Anyone know if Norton Ghost will create ISO's for the exact image of a win install so you can reboot and install with the CD's? I don't know how that crazy win stuff works so if some one knows if ghost can do it and how-to or some other means of doing the following:

Work Laptop - Runs win2k with computer account on domain, blah blah blah. With a 20GB hd. What I want to do is use my spare 60GB hd, put win2k on a 10-15 GB partions, Linux on the rest and use Ghost or something like that to drop the exact image of win2k computer account and all on my new 60gb drive. So I can get my box on the domain with out any questions :)

Can it be done?

partimage should work. Norton Ghost would probably do it too.

If Win2k were Fat32, you could just copy it over the network to a clean HD booting Knoppix on both computers, then do your Linux install. It can be done with the latest Knoppix (3.6) with ntfs, but it is experimental and I've only done it once and can't remember the details.

crap, I think Ghost was working, cause I was restoring the image, while it takes so long I decied to go smoke and locked my desktop. Came back, the admin password was different and I couldn't log in. :lol2:

So it appears it might be working.

I see try #2 comeing as I re-install. :wall:

/me will remember to create a dummy account with admin access and restore from that accont :lightbulb:

I think I have a similar setup to the one you are trying to create.

Make a Ghost-image of your existing w2k partition. I assume this one starts on cylinder 0. Use Masterbooter/Efdisk to create a primary partition on your 60gb hdd with same starting cylinder with your choise of size.

Restore your w2k image to this partition.

Install Linux to the remainder of your hdd (or part of it). Put lilo on your linux partition (not in MBR) Run MasterBooter and the program will find the Linux partition and your w2k. You will now have a dual boot w2k and Linux hdd.

Ps If you want to back up your Linux installation Ghost does not work with MasterBooter but Paragon DriveBackup works fine.