What is the DVD Decryptor equiv for Linux?

kenton

i don't know if this will actually work...but you can try it. if you just want an ISO to burn, not to play it on your computer, you can try:

dd if=/dev/dvd of=/where/ever/you/want/the.iso

obviously /dev/dvd would point to your dvd device (this can depend on your setup). and the second just points to where ever you want the iso file. i haven't tried this, it works for cdroms so i assume it should work for dvd's. you would then just burn the iso to a dvd and hopefully it'll work out.

however, there is the problem that many newer dvd's use dvd+ instead of dvd-, and most all burnable dvd's are only dvd-. the difference is mainly that dvd- holds only 4 gigs and i believe dvd+ holds 8.

No. The particular discs I'm copying are DVD5 (i.e. single layer, 4.7GB maximum). They don't have any sort of DVD-specific region encoding, all the region encoding is in the actual software. They don't encorporate any sort of specific copy protection, either, all the copy protection routines are built into the actual reader hardware.

No one actually has a "ripper" program?

k3b should be able to do it. You could also take a look here:

http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Unix/FreeBSD-Burning.php

It talks about FreeBSD, but it seems generic enough.

Also DVD::RIP:

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire