Will Mandrake install on this system?

Guest SpaRood

Guest SpaRood

I'm a Windows user, but I need to work with Linux because of my study. I have never installed Linux before, so I'm totally new in this. I have read that Mandrake is the easiest to install, that's why I choose it. I'm planning to buy a laptop with this configuration, which is basically a Centrino laptop with a 1280*800 resolution.

PROCESSOR

Intel® Celeron-M® / Intel® Pentium-M® (Intel® Centrino™ Platform)

CHIPSET

Intel® 855GME / ICH4-M

MONITOR

12.1" WXGA TFT (1280x800)

MEMORY

2 SO-DIMM DDR-PC2700 Sockets

VIDEO

Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 shared memory

STORAGE

CD Rewriter-DVD Combo / DVD Rewriter

40/60/80 GB 2.5" harddisk

UDMA ATA100

SOUND

SoundBlaster Compatible

4 Speakers

microphone

I/O

1x Cardbus 2.1 (PCMCIA, type II)

2x USB 2.0

1x IEEE1394 (Firewire/iLink)

1x D-Sub for monitor

1x External speaker out

1x External microphone

SPIDF Digital audio

TV-Out S-Video

COMMUNICATION

Intel® Pro2200BG onboard Wireless LAN

10/100Mbit Netwerkadaptor (UTP)

56k V.90/V.92 Modem

4-in-1 cardreader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro)

Can I safely install Mandrake on this system? I need to be sure, before actually buying that system. How does Linux deal with powermanagement of Centrino laptops and higher resolutions such as 1280*800?

Many thanks for your help!

Edited by SpaRood

Yes, you can install on it, yes everything there will be supported except *maybe* the card reader.

Linux does a reasonable job of power management, although I suggest you install cpufreqd which will slow cpu and increase it as required. This will be available in the package installation afterwards, you will understand me then.

The wireless also happens to work with the driver from: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

again we can help after install

Good luck, go for it. Make sure you install the latest version.

I have installed mdk10.1 CE on a quite similar Dell D400; there are some (easy to fix but annoying) problems with the graphics on some centrino laptops. I also helped a friend out with an Acer Travelmate 660, different but also graphics related issue - not something a beginner can easily fix - he wouldn't know where to start.

Talk back on this board if you cannot get things (graphics) running - if need be, send me a pm (if no one answers).

I think all basic functionality of your laptop should be supported, including the low power features of the cpu (speedstep), with Mandrake 10.1 CE (but OE is around the corner, should be even better).

(You really need a recent distro, forget about mdk9.2 or even 10.0.)

i've got mandrake 10.0 running on a insprion 5150 which has some pretty outlandish hardware. some of it wasn't supported so you really should go with the newest version. i think everything on yours is pretty safe. good luck.