X Refuses To Start

Guest Snump

I've installed Mandrake before, but now its giving me trouble. I think it has something to do with what I name the machine on the network. The install goes perfectly, but after it reboots it can't start X. I'm installing Gnome only.

I'm at work now, and I don't have the machine. One thing that confuses me during the install is the fully qualified name. I don't have a domain on my network, so what should I call the machine?

Before, what would happen was, I would change the DNS setting and X would blow up. After reinstalling the nvidia drivers it would be back up, but with incorrect DNS settings. My DNS settings weren't sticking. I wanted to start from scratch and possibly try another distro, but decided to stick with Mandrake. Hence I'm reinstalling from scratch.

• 1 month later...

Could you give us some more details? "It won't start X" is a bit too vague to troubleshoot :). /var/log/xorg.0.log would be helpful, for a start, and also possibly dmesg. I very much doubt your network hostname has much to do with it (FWIW, when there's no domain or anything, I just use .local.net).