Community vs Official.....

Guest satanhead2003

Guest satanhead2003

Hi Guys.... Im newb here. I just want to know, i got the download version of Mdk 10.0 Official and 10.1 Community. After I installed 10.1, i cannot install any driver (Nvidia that is, with NForce M/B), and when I want to compile new kernel, messages like , QT package not found, Kernel-Source also not found. The question is, Is this normal? 10.1 community = stripped / not complete package, or something i'm missing here? Plz help. I love the 10.1 new look but, I also want to compile / test a new kernel.

Community is just less tested than the Official version. It's more of the cutting-edge, slightly-buggy version. The Official version is meant to be rock solid (as much as is possible with any OS).

I believe the problem you're having is that you haven't installed the proper kernel-source package. You can use Mandrake Control Center - Software -Install Software to search for an install the necessary package. You may find that it's not on the cd's but instead on a server, if that's the case easy urpmi should be helpful to you.

I'm not sure about the QT error, is this a problem with the kernel or just compiling KDE programs? If you're trying to install KDE programs I believe you'll need a few -devel packages, such as kde-devel or qt-devel.

Guest satanhead2003

Tq. But, I 've done that. RPMDrake, isnt it? Kernel-source not even in the list!! QT package.... everything about devel is not in the list. Search by name, By Description. It's just not there. Searching the files individually on the disc also havent got any luck. I also tried upgrading from 10.0 hoping all the devel package can be used by the 10.1. Is't just not as i'm hoping. Still got the error when trying make xconfig. So, back to my question. Is it supposed to be like that, 10.1 devel package stripped out?

Guest Neocorteqz

if you use the following command as root

urpmi kernel-source

it will install the kernel source for you, I believe it's on disc 3 for 10.1 community. But it will ask you to insert the disc before, so you will find out which one it is then.

if you don't set up urpmi first, then the only source it will search from is the CD's.

if you do, you may use a mirror that does not yet have the source you have currently installed.

kernel source is there. and concerning your nvidia problems, i don't think you're alone. but there should be at least 16 other threads that help out with that problem. i assume it'll be fixed in the next go of 10.1.

but there should be at least 16 other threads that help out with that problem.  i assume it'll be fixed in the next go of 10.1.

:woops: nvidia problem still exists in 10.1 official, good news indeed enough threads to solve this

Edited by SpikeyKlitske