Updating 10.1 Community - SOLVED

Guest dee

I have tried I think every mirror available for updating my 10.1 Community install. Either the GUI never manages to connect or it does connect, starts to calculate how much time is left, and then disconnects. I've tried it at at the command line as well and am told there are no updates, yet when I look in the security and bug announcement forum above it looks like there have indeed been updates.

I am sorely confused. :) Are there any updates for 10.1 Community? If so, why can't I reach any of the mirrors to update? I do have a firewall, are there known firewall issues? (I've searched the forums and the web and haven't run into any complaints of this problem, but a friend of mine has it as well.) Help!

(Oddly, I'm in North America and yet have better luck with the European mirrors.)

dunno exactly. maybe the mirrors are temporarily down, maybe it is a firewall problem. can you ping the mirrors? (open a console as root and type 'ping <enter name of mirror here>')

Okay, I've got it. Thank you for your help, folks, you got me thinking in proper technical support mode. The problem is that the lovely folks at Mandrake (or the lovely folks who made the mirrors) have the wrong URLs in the list of mirrors, at least they did for Metalab. I discovered this finally after FTPing into Metalab to go see for myself if there were any updates in there.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the final version. :P

Edited by dee

Okay, I've got it. Thank you for your help, folks, you got me thinking in proper technical support mode. The problem is that the lovely folks at Mandrake (or the lovely folks who made the mirrors) have the wrong URLs in the list of mirrors, at least they did for Metalab. I discovered this finally after FTPing into Metalab to go see for myself if there were any updates in there.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the final version. :P

I'm having the same issues with the mirrors for 10.1 Community. How did you resolve this?

Thanks.