Weird Install Error

lrsach01

Hi all! I'm not quite a newbie but I'm far from an expert. I've installed mandrake 9 from downloaded files numerous times but I'm having trouble now. I purchased the power pack for my dad and went to install. Everything goes OK untill its time for disk 2. The disk isn't accepted. In fact, none of the remaining disks are accpeted. The system keeps spitting the disk out and asking for the "correct" disk. I would expect this from a crapped out download (if I failed to check the sums) but not from a purchased copy from Best Buy. Any ideas besides returning it? I'm out of town and wanted to get this installed before leaving for home.

Please list hardware configuration.

Also, you can do a minimal install using only Disk 1. Choose Expert Install option; when you are asked to identify the disks you have, choose only Disk 1; choose the packages you want that are available. When the install is complete, go into Mandrake Control Center>Software Management>Software Sources Manager and add your additional Disks to the sources and see if you can choose additional packages you need from these sources. Either the foregoing, or you can try running the install again after installing with Disk 1 and choose the Ugrade option and see if you can install the desired additional packages.

well trial and error as well as more than a little frustration finally showed me the problem. The cd-rom simply takes FOREVER to spin up. I was placing the disk in the tray and the hitting the OK button on the install screen. The tray would close and then the the tray would open a little later and the install would request the appropriate disk. On accident I closed the tray by pushing it in and then I was discussing the problem with my dad. I then tried the "OK" button and the install proceded. UNfortunately I was using download disks at this time and the second disk had an error on it. I left it running overnight and the install wasn't finished 6 hours later. That's when my brother told me his burner has been acting up. :) Oh well. Long story short, an install I expected to take only 2 hours took a day and a half and still isn't finished. Luckily I left the original sytem intact on the older hard drive and my dad won't be out much. He is fairly good with computers and should have no trouble doing the install himself once he gets a better copy of disk two. And, I'm only a phone call away. Thanks for the help and I'm sorry to have bothered everyone with what turned out to be a trivial matter.