Screen blacks out when xserver is started on MDK 8.2 and up

Guest tcreek

I am Using an ATI Rage 128 16Mb PCI card. MDK 8.0 and 8.1 are working fine and this card as well as RedHat 8. I just don't like Red Hat and it runs slower than Mandrake on that system I have. I just don't have the fundage right now to get a real card at this moment.

If I try to upgrade beyond 8.1, XFree86 does nto want to work properly even using the older versions avaible to choose in the setup.

It seems them Xserver locks up and I cannot get a new console up to shut it down and I am having to push the ol trusty reset button.

Any ideas?

Trent

If you did the graphical install then the genaric drivers the distro choose to do the install should have worked to get you up and running.

I have never worked with an ATI card before so sorry I can't help any more than that.

Try to boot just into the comand line and editing the XFree86 file.

You'll need to provide us the errors X is having, because w/o them we cannot help you (except if any of us has ever been in the same situation with the same hardware). So you'll need to check the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look for lines begining with "EE" (error) and "WW" (warnings) (and maybe with "NI" and "??")

If those warnings make no sense to you, you can post the output of the following command here, and see if we can help you:

[root@localhost ~]$ egrep -C "EE|WW" /var/log/XFree86.0.log