Mandrake 10.1 WMV help--SOLVED

DeeJayBump

I recently (finally) made the move to 10.1 and I am having the following issue:

I can't get any of my installed media players (Kaffeine, Totem, Mplayer, Xine) to play the video portion of WMV9-encoded videos. I've tried installing the w32codecs, and still the issue remains. The audio plays fine, but no video on these particular files.

Can anyone help me rectify this situation? Thanks.

Edited by DeeJayBump

Did you check if the installation of the codecs went coreect (installtion is just copying the codecs to /usr/lib/win32).

If you dont see the codecs in that folder, download them from the mplayer site and copy them to /usr/lib/win32.

As a reminder: Mandrake uses urpmi to install software (see the FAQs). Always make sure you have set up your media (PLF!!) correctly before you install software)

Did you check if the installation of the codecs went coreect (installtion is just copying the codecs to /usr/lib/win32).

If you dont see the codecs in that folder, download them from the mplayer site and copy them to /usr/lib/win32.

1. Yes, the codecs are in /usr/lib/win32

Thanks.

Edited by DeeJayBump

Let me clarify: The codecs are in /usr/lib/win32 and were placed there when I installed the codecs package. I verified this, and still the problem remains. I still cannot view movies/clips encoded as/in Windows Media Video 9.

Any further help will be greatly appreciate. Sorry for not making this clear in the second reply.

Sure. Mplayer gives the following error when attempting to play these files:

Fatal error!

Error opening/initializing the selected video-out (-vo) device

Totem does nothing, it just says "No File" and does nothing else until I close it.

Kaffeine shows a black screen, the audio plays, and the length (time) of the clip(s) moves along on the slider, but no video. On the bottome of the video portion of Kaffeine, it shows the file name and:

**(file) Windows Media Video 9 (0x0) MS Windows Media Audio 2 (ffmpeg) (34kb)

Xine gives this:

The stream use and unsupported codec: Video Codec: Windows Media Video 9 (WMV3) Start playback anyway?

If I click Yes to star playback anyway, I hear the audio and the slider moves along, but no video is displayed.

Does this help?

Are they perhaps drm protected files (streams stored on your HD). Mplayer, nor any other linux videoplayer, doesn't play these.

How do I tell if they are drm protected files? These are .wmv files that were downloaded from the net.

From my understanding, these .wmv clips were converted from higher quality (DVD/HiDef) files to achieve reduction in file size and specifically for sharing of these files, so my guess would be that they are NOT drm protected files.

Thanks.

Edited by DeeJayBump