blank screen after boot menu. - SOLVED

Guest linuxman

Guest linuxman

Hi,

I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 community. Before the install, I have a single partition hd of 38G. I have used the tool in the installation program to shrink the windows xp partition, and allocated 4G for the linux. For the rest of the install, i just used the default settings.

The weird thing is, installation seemed fine. As soon as it reboots, i see the boot loader. i have selected linux, and then the whole screen went blank. no messages on screen, nothing. The keyboard is still responsive though, as cntl-alt-delete worked, and number locks worked.

I have a nvidia tnt2 video card, 1G duron processor, 256M ram, 38G hd, and 2cd roms (one is writer).

Is there a way to see some error messages? it is hard to debug what went wrong if i don't see any text. Thanks!

Guest linuxman

I have also tried the other 2 modes in the boot menu, linux-fb and failsafe. I get 1 message on screen, "bios data check successful" and that's it.

i have also disabled all onboard devices (sound, lan, usb etc) and unplugged my usb wireless adaptor. still no luck.

At the boot splash, hit esc, type "linux 3" and enter. See if it loads to a command line. If it does, log in, type "startx" and post the errors.

Guest linuxman

Thanks for the quick response. the command loads, and i typed linux 3. it said "bios data checked successful" and the screen went blank. So i guess it didn't really do much at this point.

Not good. I suspect the worst, which in the linux world means a reinstall. It is possible that the partition table is fudged. Can you boot windows? (Obviously you are posting from something!) If you downloaded the iso's, make sure you do the md5sum to verify their integrity. I think you will have to reinstall. Be sure to format the pertitions again. This time you won't have to make them, just format them.

I'm having a similar problem. Be patient - the blank screen may only be temporary.

As far as I can see, on my system, bootsplash (the graphical boot progress indicator) sets the video mode to a mode my monitor can't display. (It *says* it's VGA=791, i.e. 1024x768x16bpp, but the refresh rate is obviously out of kilter somehow.)

After the usual boot process presumably happens, the login screen appears and everything is fine from that point on. But, of course, this can mean sitting watching a blank screen for a long time.

Guest linuxman

What kind of plug and play options are you referring to? I tried disable all on board devices (sound, network etc.) but with no luck.

Also, for the blank screen, how long is the wait are you talking about? i waited for about 10 mins, but the hd is not moving, and nothing is progressing.

I will try to disable all the plug and play stuff to see if that works. thanks.

Thanks to the help of mdemers883 I got it fixed. I disabled some Plug-n-Play options in my BIOS as well as some onboard items I dont use.. booted right up, no problems. :)

I cant remember what exactly I disabled. what motherboard/bios do you have? my asus (pheonix bios?) doesnt really let you "disable" PnP, but I could disable everything related. I have a whole section in the bios for just PnP. Then also Hardware.

I turned off some serial ports I wasnt using, firewire, etc.. that sped up my boot process. It was trying to probe those things at boot for minutes. I think that may have been some of the problem.

Edited by Drew

sellis: you could always change 791 to something else - try 788 for 800x600 and see if that works, or if it doesn't, just set it to 'none' for text mode boot...

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

I'm confused that 791 doesn't work, though, since 1024x768x16 is the resolution my desktop is running in. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...
sellis: you could always change 791 to something else - try 788 for 800x600 and see if that works, or if it doesn't, just set it to 'none' for text mode boot...

Well, a lull in the DIY and mad work hours means I got the chance to try this, edited /etc/lilo.conf to set vga=788, ran lilo to recreate my boot info and lo and behold, it's fine. Marvellous!

(Still don't know why it doesn't like 791, though.)