problems with ATI radeon after upgrade

coverup

Hi there,

Eventually, I gave up and installed the proprietary ATI driver fglrx 3.14.1. Till yesterday, I was using the driver that came with mdk 9.2 powerpack. Here is questions/problems that I would like to have an advise on.

1. Before upgrading, glxgears gave 1200-1300 FPS, now I have 800 FPS or even less. I happen to notice during the compilation that the driver pulled a string AGP=1 from somewhere in the kernel. Does this mean that the screen is now using AGP 1x? How can this be changed to AGP 4x?

2. The laptop no longer resumes from suspend. That is, it resumes, then the screen goes black, and never comes back. Yes, I know, I should have switched to kernel 2.6.x, have used acpi, etc. But my point is that before upgrade, the resume worked with kernel 2.4.22 and APM (not always, but now it does not work at all!) Another funny thing, the backlit no longer turns off, as it did before. I'd really like to have this feature back!

3. During install, I had a message saying "The QT based control panel application did not load in any version". According to ATI, this means that the QT software toolkit is not installed. However, the following packages are installed:

qt3-common

libqt3-devel

libqt3

What am I missing here? I would like to be able to use fireglcontrol.

Edit: by the way, I can't find fireglcontrol at all, is it included in the package?

4. I was trying to revert back to mandrake's driver, but 3D rendering no longer worked - the message on the console was saying that the version fglrx did not match something else, can't remember exactly what was that. So, how exactly do I go back to the original drivers?

5. I decided to upgrade because the projector did not work with the old driver. Now it sort of works, but I can't make the projector and LCD use different resolutions in clone mode. The LCD is 1400x1050, and the projector can only do 1024x768 or 800x600. Any ideas how can this be done?

Thanks

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Edited by coverup

Thanks for the reply, anon. Can I please check again.... During the install, first the messages "kernel sources not found... blah blah blah.... Failed" appeared, then the installer built fglrx.2.4.22-26mdk.o, the module matching my kernel, and symlinked fglrx to this module. Doesn't this mean that the installer built the kernel module for me? Do you reckon, I still have to rebulid it?

Edit: OK, as suqgested I rebuild and reinstalled fglrx module. With internal agpgart module, glxgears give approx 875 FPS. With external agpgart module, glxgears give approx 685 FPS. Resume only works with external agp. Even 875 FPS is still way far from 1300 FPS that I had before, when using Mandrake's ATI driver.

This time I did not have any complains about QT. Nevertheless, fireglcontrol application was not compiled. Did anybody have any success with it?

Edited by coverup

The solution to the problem with QT is described here

http://http://www.rage3d.net/board/showthr...33780469&page=2

cd /usr/src/ATI

tar xzf fglrx_panel_sources.tgz

make

ERROR : replace -lqt by -lqt-mt in the last cmd.

g++ FGLRXExtensions.o ATITVOExtensions.o main.o Sheet.o Page.o InfoPage.o DualScreenPage.o AdjustPage.o TVoutAdjustPage.o BoardInfo.o moc_Sheet.o moc_Page.o moc_InfoPage.o moc_DualScreenPage.o moc_AdjustPage.o moc_TVoutAdjustPage.o -o fireglcontrol.qt3.gcc3.3.3 -L/usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lqt-mt -lGLU -lGL -lXmu -lICE -lSM -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lXinerama -lXrender -lfreetype -lXxf86vm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXft

cp fireglcontrol.qt3.gcc3.3.3 /usr/X11R6/bin/fireglcontrol