Cell phone / bluetooth / IrDa

Guest aaadra

Guest aaadra

I'm a fairly new mandrake/linux user (5 days). My laptop (AcerTM 529TX / PIII850) are running nice, but...I do have some problems configuring exsternal devices.

The PC has an infared (eagle eye) device, but this seems to be dead with Mandrake.

I also have a bluetooth usb adaptor. The cell phone appers in the bluetooth manager display, and it recognice it correct as a Nokia 6310i. But, I can't figure out how to set up the phone as modem for Internet access.

I would very mutch like to wake up my IrDA as well!

Anyone having usful tips?

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

irda is a nightmare to make work under linux; forget it is my advice, bluetooth is much better and easier to get working. I have had bluetooth working, but I can't remember all the steps for the life of me. I can give some pointers, though. First fire up rpmdrake and make sure every package with bluez in the name is installed. The tools you will need to use include hciconfig and rfcomm. The best thing to do is look at the main bluetooth-on-linux project page, http://www.bluez.org/ , and also do some googling on the theme of "name of your phone" "bluetooth", and "linux". Hopefully you'll find someone who's done it before, which will make your life much easier. Make sure to modify any instructions you find where appropriate, though - in particular, a lot will direct you to compile software and libraries from scratch which may well be packaged for Mandrake already, in which case just install the packaged versions and skip the compile / install instructions. good luck! if you come up with any specific problems let me know and I'll try and remember anything I can that will help...

(i managed to get a state where I could send and receive files from and to the phone, and use it as a GPRS modem. so it's possible :>)