Upgrade to 10.1 CE

Tymestream

Can you upgrade to 10.1 CE or is it best to fresh install? I have been having a bunch of silly little problems with 10 official and am about to upgrade. I think a fresh install is always best but does it really make a difference? Could upgrading prevent having to re-configure my preferences and settings that I have already configured?

yes but it could also carry forward any annoying things...

if you maintain your home directory then desktop and user prefs will be preserved.

You can backup the /etc directory too and copy that to the home to be preserved then you can copy the config files back!

I haven't actually run any backups yet. I am in the process of figuring out how to cron a job and back up to network or CD. I do have /home on a seperate partition. I have been working with Linux very indepth for a while now so I am fairly well versed - that said, any advice you may offer will be readily excepted.

Specifically other than /home & /etc are there other things that should be backed up?

probably (theres always something) but those are what I usually do...

if you have installed web stuff in /var/www then that too and make sure you didnt copy anything useful into /root... (like the ATI driver looking at your spec)

But that usually does me for getting back up in a hurry....

If you really wanna upgrade then I think via urpmi is the best way, bvc seems to have very good results doing it this way but the CD way can be hit and miss.

since you seem confident you might wanna consider playing with the homes a bit more too....

instead of inheriting all the accumualted crap in hidden directories you can rename the directory in /home and let the new install make a new one, check the gid and uid are the same after and then I call mine oldhome...

So you can copy say the .firefox across but ignore stuff that you no longer use/want...

yep, I do something very similar to gowator when doing a clean install, I do it completely clean and copy across old configs as they actually become needed. If you back up /etc, you will need to replace kdmrc (it lives under /etc somewhere, probably /etc/kdm or /etc/kde/kdm or something like that) with the 10.1 version after restoring your old tree, or else the login will be broken (assuming you use the default login manager).