"no CDROM" error

Guest visiperl

Guest visiperl

Hi all,

I've spent the last hour or so looking through the posts here and have had no luck finding a solution to this problem.

I can boot from an AOpen 56x CD-ROM to start the LM 9.0 install and then shortly after the "Detecting USB" message, I get a "no CDROM found" message. ??? It just started the install from it, how come it doesn't see it anymore?

It then asks for a scsi device to continue the install from. Does anybody have any suggestions?

This is a 2.4 P4 w/ 2 80gig RAID drives (mirrored) and the CD-ROM.

TIA!

Guest visiperl

Hi,

Thank you.

Yes I downloaded and burned the disks.

No other O/S's involved, this is a brand new system using the ASUS P4B533-E Motherboard with RAID set to RAID 1 for (mirroring).

It sees the raid drives fine. I even tried using an older 16x drive with no success.

Thanks again.

Guest visiperl

I agree it's a good idea about letting it go with the SCSI option, the problem is there are probably 50+ possible drivers to choose from in that listing.

And yes, it's showing up in the BIOS as a CD-ROM. I've also tried manually forcing it to CD-ROM without success.

thanks.

I beleive your motherboard uses Intel's 845E chipset. This chipset has real problems with kernel 2.4.19 used in Mandrake 9.0 and other recent distros. See this thread for further info:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...=639&highlight=

The syptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced when trying to use Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller. More details are in the above thread. If you can disable raid, you might be able to get the install to go but you will not be able to enable dma. It's purely a kernel problem. You have to upgrade to kernel 2.4.20 to get things right. I know of no way to do this during the install. The strategy will have to be do whatever it takes to get the install to go (disable raid?), update the kernel per the above thread, and then try to renable raid and reconfigure your hardware.

Guest visiperl

Ok, I got the latest kernel installed on a standalone 40 gig drive, then enabled the two 80gig raid drives and the system now works, however, the question at this point is, how do I move partitions over to the raid drive and do away with the 40gig standalone?

thanks!

Oops! meant to add that I've got drive copy 4.0, however, it doesn't appear to recognize the raid drives.