Collection of Networking Questions

Tymestream

Ready set go!

Greetings! I have been having some silly problems setting up my Linux network and was hoping for some assistance.

Issue #1 - I have a couple of NTFS formatted drives in my Linux box, they are mounted and readable. I am trying to access them through my network from a XP based machine. For the life of me I cannot get access to them. The closest that I have come is to be able, via network neighbourhood, to see the shered drive and have it prompt me for my username and password - after inputting the info. access is not granted and it asks for the user and pass indefinately. I had this problem in the past but cannot remember what the cause is.

Issue #2 - In my /mnt directory I have a number of old share directories that were created in the past for numerous reasons. With no reference to these in the smb.conf or anywhere else - they keep reappearing after they are deleted. That is if I can delete them in the first place. What causes this? What am I failing to delete/correct?

Issue #3 - What is the most straightforward example of how to share a directory between a Linux box and a windows machine. For example: I want to share /home/bob/stuff with windows machines connected to the network. What are the needed steps to achieve this.

I am not a newbie but I have been struggling with these things for too long and my brain is on fire. :cheeky:

Thanks in advance.

Issue #1 - I have a couple of NTFS formatted drives in my Linux box, they are mounted and readable. I am trying to access them through my network from a XP based machine. For the life of me I cannot get access to them. The closest that I have come is to be able, via network neighbourhood, to see the shered drive and have it prompt me for my username and password  - after inputting the info. access is not granted and it asks for the user and pass indefinately. I had this problem in the past but cannot remember what the cause is.
Have you created any samba users??

I always do it via webmin, which i find it makes samba setup vey simple, urpmi webmin, start the webmin service and then point your browser to https://127.0.0.1:10000 (accessing from the same pc) or https://ip.lan.address:10000 (from any other pc on the lan)

Issue #2 - In my /mnt directory I have a number of old share directories that were created in the past for numerous reasons. With no reference to these in the smb.conf or anywhere else - they keep reappearing after they are deleted. That is if I can delete them in the first place. What causes this? What am I failing to delete/correct?
Does /etc/fstab contain any reference to them? Other than that, i wouldnt know.

Issue #3 - What is the most straightforward example of how to  share a directory between a Linux box and a windows machine. For example: I want to share /home/bob/stuff with windows machines connected to the network. What are the needed steps to achieve this.
Youre doing it right, you only need to configure samba correctly, try webmin.