urpmi problem - SOLVED

Guest DragonK

Guest DragonK

Hello,

I was using urpmi to update my system (MDK 10 Official) from cooker. Everything was ok, but when I tried to use it again to update (after 2 1/2 months), it started reporting some errors (about not finding hosts and such). So I've removed all media and added from easyurpmi main & contrib.

Urpmi.update -a works ok now, but when I run urpmi --auto-select -v it says something about installing and not upgrading lots of kernel packages and then it locks.

With top I can see urpmi is using CPU power, but I got tired to wait for a result...

Any idea why this is happening?

I have to mention that the only major change to the computer & mdk was to switch to reiser4.

Thanks.

just a guess here, but if you only have contrib & main sources set up it's just not finding anything available to update. if you want to do the --auto-select thing, you need to have sources (IE: Cooker) where there are updated versions of apps.

also, the kernel "would install instead of upgrade........." message is a default message. Mandrake/urpmi won't upgrade a kernel, instead it will install a new one beside your old kernel. it's sort of a failsafe so if the new kernel wouldn't boot for some reason, you still have your old one.

and, the error about not finding hosts was probably due to a site(s) being unavailable at the time. that happens now & then. when it does, either just change your ftp repository source or try again later.

Chris

Guest DragonK

I was not worried about the "install instead of upgrade message" :D

It seems i've solved the problem, but it is one of those "i don't know how i did it" things.

I've --force --nodeps an older version of urpmi, then -e it, and then installed 4.5-2 and this seems to work. It's updating glibc :P now.

Thanks for the support.