which kernel

anand

I was using Mandrake Offical 10.0 on my Thinkpad R50 (with linuxant wifi setup) until i decided to upgrade it to 10.1 Community.

Now after setting up, i ran urpmi --auto-select and it went for the upgrade. The system updated and came up properly. I was working on bluetooth prior to installing 10.1, so i again started to work with it and discovered problems with the kdebluetooth with the kernel 2.6.3 which was loaded by urpmi. Now the choice came to which kernel to use, and i started to download and install 2.6 series enterprise, 4GB... all of them one by one. It so happened (and i am not sure what caused it) suddenly the laptop started to hang the moment i choose a kernel.

Now the list of problems

1. Now the moment i choose a kernel it hangs, i resorted back to 2.6.3. Can anyone please tell me what went wrong ? Also which kernel do you recommend to use which has the best support for hardware and would be best to run on a IBM thinkpad R50.

2. In trying to fix the above (and jumping on various boats) i started klaptop and activated sleep, suspend and hibernated and tested the hibernate. The system hibernated fine, after trying to restore it, it just keeps on rebooting. Trying to fix this i choose failsafe mode under lilo options to remove the resume option from lilo.conf and atleast boot my laptop back properly. To my bad luck the laptop hangs at the line "Calibrating delay loop...". Now i can't boot to the 2.6.3 kernel because it keeps rebooting, i can't choose failsafe it hangs, i can't choose other kernels i downloaded since all hang the laptop moment they are choose from lilo.

This post is coming from the XP i have on the laptop running dual boot. And as you can see i have gotten myself into too much of a mess. I would really appreciate help to get this fixed up.