VCDs: mono left/right

Uiler

Hi

I want to watch some VCDs on my Mandrake box. I'm watching "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" which like many Chinese VCDs has Mandarin on one of the two stereo audio channels and Cantonese on the other. The idea being that you turn off stereo and do Mono Left or Mono Right. Anyway, the best I can do to imitate this on a computer is to turn the volume balance all the way to the left or right. First of all, you can still hear the other channel (albeit more faintly) and also it means all the noise comes out of one speaker (if you use a standalone DVD player it comes out of both speakers as mono sound). Is there any way in mplayer or xine to immitate how a standalone DVD player handles the sound (i.e. a proper Mono Left/Mono Right)?

Thanks!

There are some options mplayer uses like '-alang' that will give you control over the audio output (I'm not that familiar with Xine). For instance -alang en will play the english soundtrack on the DVD.

Also there is -aid <id> (where id is a code for an audio channel. Start with mplayer -v to see the availble channels on the disc).

However, why not use kmix or alsamixergui to control the output :)

Well these are VCDs not DVDs so there is no concept of "language". The "language" options are really a fudge. "Hey, they won't mind if the sound isn't stereo right? This means we can use the left channel for one language and the right one for another". As I mentioned in my initial post, I did try using kmix - however as I pointed out there are problems with using the mixer. I want a proper Mono Right/Mono Left where the sound comes out of both speakers (just mono sound instead of stereo) and where one side is entirely cut out, not just damped down (and yes I do turn kmix all the way to the right/left).