mdksecure kernel

Guest popeye

I found the following comment in grsecurity forum:

http://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php...hlight=mandrake

mdksecure is the kernel installed when one requires a high level of security. From the comment it seems that the security professed by Mandrakesoft is not really there. Does anyone know what could be done about it? Is there a way to help?

You did the community a service by pointing this forum out. When I asked about the secure kernel on a.o.l.m., I was referred to the grsecurity web site. Not being a security expert or kernel hacker, I took its presence in Mandrake's kernels list as enough justification to start using it. Conned again it would seem. Since I am now using Redhat, it is not a question now, but I am planning to reinstall 9.0 in the space I left for it. I would go here http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ and paste those comments from grsecurity in the contact Mandrakesecure at the bottom of the page. You could also write Vincent Danen, their security expert directly or post the whole thing to the Mandrake Forum where it might or might not get any attention. Why they bother with this sort of mess is beyond me since it just drags their reputation down. As far as help is concerned, maybe you could get them to document it.

Counterspy

First of all, you have great avatars. The best to you in this coming year.

The way I see Mandrake Linux is the same way I see the condo where I live. It was what I was willing, or could afford, to pay. It has nice features but it is not entirely to my satisfaction. Then you have the condo administration, Mandrakesoft in the case of MDK Linux, which probably had great ideas at the beginning but due to the financial crunch have had to let people go, maybe some good ones that made the place, or distro very attractive in the beginning.

Maybe Mandrake Linux is not the best and greatest for a lot of people but it is good enough for me (so far) and I am willing to pay the condo quota (Mandrake Club) to see it maintained and if possibly, improved.

I have looked at other distros, Red Hat, Slackware and Debian to see if there would be a benefit in switching but every time I decide to stick with Mandrake. Following the condo metaphor, I feel that I need to lend a hand to improve it because I have invested some amount of time in understanding the distro.

The mdksecure kernel is definitely one of my disappointments, there are others, so I have the option of helping it a bit and have a compilation of GNU/Linux that satisfies me or, with regret, switch to another that would be closer to what I would expect.

As a network administrator my main concern are servers and Mandrake Linux served the purpose quite well, up to the present. As I want to add more security or otherwise have a more robust network is when I have started to discover this deterioration on the MDK distro.

I know there are people associated with Mandrakesoft that are doing the best they can. There are others who had to leave to make a living somewhere else. My hope is that if a few of us, who would like to see the distro serving us all, would volunteer to improve the aspects that are deteriorating for lack of maintenance and/or help it financially by joining the club and/or buy the packages, we could all benefit substantially by this cooperative effort.

That was the reason for my posting and concern.

First of all, you have great avatars. The best to you in this coming year.

The way I see Mandrake Linux is the same way I see the condo where I live. It was what I was willing, or could afford, to pay. It has nice features but it is not entirely to my satisfaction. Then you have the condo administration, Mandrakesoft in the case of MDK Linux, which probably had great ideas at the beginning but due to the financial crunch have had to let people go, maybe some good ones that made the place, or distro very attractive in the beginning.

Maybe Mandrake Linux is not the best and greatest for a lot of people but it is good enough for me (so far) and I am willing to pay the condo quota (Mandrake Club) to see it maintained and if possibly, improved.

I have looked at other distros, Red Hat, Slackware and Debian to see if there would be a benefit in switching but every time I decide to stick with Mandrake. Following the condo metaphor, I feel that I need to lend a hand to improve it because I have invested some amount of time in understanding the distro.

The mdksecure kernel is definitely one of my disappointments, there are others, so I have the option of helping it a bit and have a compilation of GNU/Linux that satisfies me or, with regret, switch to another that would be closer to what I would expect. 

As a network administrator my main concern are servers and Mandrake Linux served the purpose quite well, up to the present. As I want to add more security or otherwise have a more robust network is when I have started to discover this deterioration on the MDK distro.

I know there are people associated with Mandrakesoft that are doing the best they can. There are others who had to leave to make a living somewhere else. My hope is that if a few of us, who would like to see the distro serving us all, would volunteer to improve the aspects that are deteriorating for lack of maintenance and/or help it financially by joining the club and/or buy the packages, we could all benefit substantially by this cooperative effort.

That was the reason for my posting and concern.

well said, good way of thinking !

roland

If you can do it, maybe the one important thing you could do is fix it so it is a workable security solution. To ensure it gets used, I would suggest that you offer it to Texstar at http://www.pclinuxonline.com. Offered through his download site and promoted here and in the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake would give them a version living up to their reputation. It seems to me that this is the kind of thing that those who are qualified and have the willingness are going to need to do more and more of unless the situation undergoes rapid improvement.

Counterspy