Mandrake 10.1 Community + Intel 2200BG

Thin

hi all

Have installed 10.1 community on my Centrino Laptop. Am largely very happy with the outcome although i have yet to start using it in anger due to the lack of network access.

My laptop has a Intel Wireless Pro 2200BG mini card inside it, whilst Mandrake 10.1 appears to recognise this, i don't seem to be able to see an obvious way to connect it to my wireless network, which is a 54g affair secured with WPA-PSK.

If i have noobishly missed the fields to enter my key and ssid then i apologise in advance. I remember reading a while back that neither NDIS wrapper nor the Intel drivers at http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ supported WPA-PSK but that it would be added in due course.

Where i am slightly confused is what i already have on my system (ie bundled with 10.1 community) as opposed to what i actually need to achieve what i want. The control centre dialogues don't really give much away in this regard.

I attach what the control centres hardware section is currently reporting

Any help / suggestions highly appreciated as i am a tad lost.

Identification

Vendor: ‎Intel Corp.

Description: ‎Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Media class: ‎NETWORK_OTHER

Connection

Bus: ‎PCI

Bus PCI #: ‎2

PCI device #: ‎9

PCI function #: ‎0

Vendor ID: ‎32902

Device ID: ‎16928

Sub vendor ID: ‎32902

Sub device ID: ‎9986

Misc

Module: ‎ipw2200

:oops: feel free to move this over to networking - may be more appropriate

Edited by Thin

I'm not exactly a Linux guru, but to get my Intel 2200b/g-card working I had to manually install (it's quite easy, though) the firmware for my card (from ipw2200.sourceforge.net), and the command ifplugd to connect to the WLANs I use.

However, I think Mandrake has published RPMs of the firmware for MandrakeClub members to make it even simpler.

Regarding the key, can't you use iwconfig to set most settings..?

I'm not exactly a Linux guru, but to get my Intel 2200b/g-card working I had to manually install (it's quite easy, though) the firmware for my card (from ipw2200.sourceforge.net), and the command ifplugd to connect to the WLANs I use.

However, I think Mandrake has published RPMs of the firmware for MandrakeClub members to make it even simpler.

Regarding the key, can't you use iwconfig to set most settings..?

:thanks:

ok downloaded and placed the firmware into the appropriate folder and re ran the wizard. I now have the new interface showing in the control centre. Have tried putting the ssid and key into the wizard but i'm not ending up with a working connection. I get the impression its missing some connection info somewhere - i cant see an option to choose between WEP and WPA in the wizard

Given that i'm try to connect to a WPA-PSK network should I be using wpa supplicant ? Is this already in 10.1 ?

Sorry if these are dumb questions guys, but i'm a little confused on whether the wizard is supposed to do what i want it to do (WPA-PSK) or whether its just for 'standard' WEP...

Thanks again for any help

Looking around on the site I see no mention of WPA support. The 2100 site *does* mention WPA support quite prominently, so I'm thinking maybe the driver doesn't actually support WPA yet :(

You could well be right. I find it slightly maddening that it doesn't say on the site anywhere what the current feature list actually is :wall: