making Short cuts on the Desktop

eroica

ok here's another question. when i make a url s/c on the desktop and then click on it I have firefox setup to open the page. only trouble is i get an error mesage as u can see from attachment. when FF isnt started it goes to the url:file:///home/tratman/.kde/share/apps/kfmexec/tmp/3044.0. never 2 the actual url. i setup the menu by adding an entry that points to ~/firefox/./firefox. and also associated the mime text/html to the same fireox script. if someone could explain if i am setting up these mime type correctly and how to get a url to open w/FF. i would like to know the procedure for creating s/c on the desktop to programs. I've learned by trial and error that if you put a program in the menu u can then drag it to the desktop and retain the programs icon on the desktop even though theyre all scripts. coming fron windows all I had to do was drag exe to desktop and create s/c....

thanx,

alan

post-5494-1096485617_thumb.jpg

Are you using KDE?

* Make firefox your default browser: kde control center > kde components > filetypes/mimetypes (depends on your locale ) > search field: html

* then create a s/c on the desktop, right click>new>file>ass to adress (URL), just enter the http:// adress

This works for me with my browser.

s/c for an application, program:

new>file>ass to program, give it a name, then tab: program, command: fill in the path to your program, or search button - in /usr/bin

Create the shortcut (with the url), rightclick on it, choose properties, on the tab 'general' click on the little icon (no idea what's called in English, it's some tool used by plumbers), add mozilla-firefox to the list on the first tab and on the second tab choose 'use imbedded viewer (all translated from Dutch so actual wording may be different).

To create a shortcut to an application, rightclick on desktop, new, link to new application, go to tab 3 (application) and in the field command type the name of the application (mozilla-firefox or konqueror etc etc). Fill in other fields to your liking.

Good luck

yes i am using kde 3.1 and mime type setup as u suggested. link shows up ok on desktop but i am still getting the error message from above and then firefox opens w/blank page....

alan

p.s.- here is a snapshot of the redirection when i click on link saved 2 the desktop

post-5494-1096559183_thumb.jpg

Edited by eroica