Plex86 VM

Guest joehill

Guest joehill

plex86 is an emulator which allows one to run Windows within a Linux system. It is very similar to VMWare, only it's absolutely free.

I have got it to successfully compile but at that point I am not sure what to do. The site has no links to docs, the README refers to nonexistent HTML files, the XML version will not compile without a long list of devel packages, etc. If anyone has some docs or can help me out with how to install and configure, please do.

merry christmas!

Guest joehill

hmmm, you seem to be saying I could hose my system.

Gee, I've never done that before!

LOL. Hey, it's all part of the learning process.

Merry Christmas, and if I sound like I am half in the bag, well, I am!

Wow you can compile Plex86! Can you please post wich error you get and how did you correct the source? I'm interested in playing with Plex86 too but I haven't the time to work around all the errors in the source...

AFAIK Plex86 is Bochs without the x86 processor emulation. So reading the Bochs documentation should be a good idea...

In few words (well, this is how I've configured Bochs 1 year ago, but should work):

- launch Plex86 one time, and close it. Search in /etc or in your home for a Plex86 configuration file, and edit it (basically you must enter where is your floppy, your cdrom, and where is the file of the virtual HD);

- create the file for the virtual HD (lot of info on the Bochs page);

- insert a boot floppy or a bootable CDROM (the Win98 cdrom for example) and fire up your Plex86 VM.

Guest joehill

it's been a few days since I compiled, but if I recall, it compiled with no errors on the first try. Now, I remember seeing some "warning"s during the make process, but I generally ignore those anyway. If you get errors, in my experience, it is usually because of a missing devel package rather than errors in the source. Of course, I have never taken a run at anything more complicated than ./configure, make, make install, except for patching the Fluxbox source maybe, so I am not exactly an authority.

Thanks for the tip about the bochs docs (bochs dochs?). If I could get this shite to run Photoshop and Office, it would mean never having to use Windows for anything again (yes I am aware of Gimp and OpenOffice).

Out of sheer curiosity, is there any risk in running bochs on an actual x86 machine? If not, and it works, what the hell would be the draw for Plex86, besides the much cooler name?

The main difference between Bochs and Plex86 is that Bochs emulate a generic x86 processor too. This allow you to run x86 code on a non-x86 machine (example: win98 on Mac); the drawback is that Bochs is terrific slow (15minutes to load Win95 on a 300mhz processor...)

I will try to recompile plex86, maybe better luck next time...

Disma