Console Emulators: NES/Sega/Mame/Mess

Guest rriva005

Guest rriva005

Hi All, I'm in the process of breaking Microsoft habit: Is there a patch for this?

Running Mandrake 10.0 Community. All seems to work reasonably, but I'm having problems getting emulation to work well. Tried installing XMame, but installer complains about X-mame base. Install Xmame base, but then it complains about unsatisfied

xmame[>= 0.37b15.1-2mdk] Huh??? Can't find this anywhere.

Same with Xmess: Unsatisfied

xmess[>= 0.86]) Can't find this either.

Nintendo Emulators: Plenty out there, but none seem to work well with my Celeron 533, come on now, I was able to get it to run with nesticle on a 486 machine flawlessly.

Sega Emulators: Tried Gens, but incredibly slow. Again, ran it on old PI with limited problems.

Any help here is surely appreciated. Once I have it figured out, I'd like to help contribute to the FAQ.

Ha... finally another arcade afficionado. I don't know much about Sega or Nintendo emulation but xmame (and xmess) is my thing.

You have ofcourse read this: http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=13793

So don't use the rpms. Usually I wouldn't recommend building a program from source but with xmame it's really better. If you have questions about the makefile and compilation be free to ask.

Have fun.

Guest rriva005

Hi Devries:

Yeah, any help with compiling would help. Also, am I supposed make the path entry to point to the xmame/xmess executable? Or should I just type out the path as the example that they used:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/randomdirectory

I remember what the path command was for MSDOS. This would allow you to use a program such as pkzip from (which was installed as C:\pkware). I'm assuming that this is the same thing?

Also, are you using a front end, such as KAF? I'm guess that I'm going to have to compile this one as welll?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest rriva005

Do the xmame/gxmame come with the distributions, or was this something that you downloaded?

Also, is 10.1CE downloadable for the general community, or do you have to become a paying member?? Thanks

I've been using xmame and gxmame from RPMs on 10.1CE for the last few days and they work great...what's the problem with the 10.0 RPMs?

The RPMs are in PLF (look in the FAQs for URPMI). There is allso a frontend called 'gxmame'. If you do in a console as root: urpmi gxmame everything fill be installed (urpmi takes care of the dependencies)

However, this is in my opinion not the best way. Compiling gives you a bit more control over xmame.

Anyway, /home/your name/bin is in your PATH so just put a link (rightclick, new, file, link) and put in bin. That should do it. So comment out any reverence to a location.

KAF comes as a binary. Download the binary and you get a folder. In that folder is a file called Kaf. Doubleclick that file and .... Well you'll see for yourself :). Put a link to that file in bin and you're set.

Mandrake 10.1 http://www1.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

Edited by devries

Nothing to add technically to this thread, just wanted to say that I too am an arcade aficionado, although my homemade arcade cabinet runs win XP :unsure: with the MAMEWAH front end.

I didn't choose linux because I have many old Win based games that I wanted to play in addition to the MAME emulation (Duke Nukem Manhattan Project, Angel Storm, Dr Blob's organism, M$ pinball, video poker, ...). I also run a GameBoy emulator (VisualBoy Advance) but I'm pretty sure there is a linux version of that because it uses SDL.

I'm sure devries is right that compiling gives us more control over xmame, but I found the plf packages are great, everything that I need works nice :).

yup, VBA is available on Linux and indeed packaged in Mandrake (in contrib or plf, I forget which). It works great. My real, Japanese-only limited edition Boktai GBA SP is better though ;)

another thing to add to this thread is epsxe, a great free playstation emulator (unfortunately not open source) which can be found at http://www.epsxe.com/ . Go to http://www.ngemu.com/ to download Linux plugins for it - I'd recommend Pete's OpenGL gfx and OSS audio plugins, and the padjoy 0.8 gamepad plugin. I'm having an absolute blast playing through Chrono Cross on my HTPC at gorgeous 800x600 resolution - looks way better than the PSX ever made it! And it even runs acceptably in low resolution on my PII/400 laptop. nice stuff.