Removing the top bar in Gnome 2.0

pmpatrick

I posted this on the old board and didn't want it to get lost since people keep asking how ot get rid of the top bar in Gnome 2.0 and create the start menu on the bottom bar. Here's how:

Right click on the bottom bar, go up to "Add To Panel" on the pop up menu and then go down to "GNOME MENU" and click on it. A little black foot will appear on the bottom menu bar and when you click on it the entire start menu that appears on the top bar when you click " Mandrake" will be on the bottom bar. Go up to the top bar and delete it by right clicking and hitting "Delete This Panel". Don't worry; if you ever want it back (and I can't imagine why you ever would) just right click on the bottom bar go to "New Panel" and click on "Menu Panel" and it magically reappears on top in all its glory complete with dropdown menus "Mandrake" and "Actions". Also, if you want to autohide the bottom bar, you can do so by right clicking on the bar, and clicking "Autohide" on the popup window.

Hope this helps. That top bar drove me nuts for a long time before I figured out how to get rid of it and get the start menu on the bottom bar. What on earth were they thinking!!

• 2 weeks later...