Problem w. Mandrake and Desknote laptop

Guest Swoop

Well i figured since i need my machine up asap working for university i would install mandrake on it.

I download version 10 and start installing. Then after i reburn the discs 3 times because it kept giving me problem in the package selection, i finally get it installed.

And to my amazement when it boots my keyboard is messed up.

Basically since its a laptop some of the keys are able to double as numeric keypad. However normally this requires you press the FN key first in order to get this effect. This time however the system acts like the FN key is pressed down all the time.. so i cant really type without holding down that key :(

Then i try and boot in failsafe mode, and there it works, untill i type exit and then it boot the rest of the way and its screwed up again :(

Now does anybody know what this issue might be caused by ?

Knoppix doesnt have the fault (when i try ad boot that from cd), and neither does Gentoo which i was running before hand...

Any help would be appriciated as the system is practically unusable when you cant type without holding down 1 key :( :( :(

BTW: borrowed a friends 10.1 Community discs and tried installing that. Same bug... so doesnt seem to be a kernel issue... rather something thats loaded during boot, in the final stages of the boot process...

Any help would be appriciated ...

Mod Note: Moved from Installing Mandrake by phunni

Edited by phunni

By the way

I dont know if this problem is specific for laptops, or could occour with any keyboard using multiple functions for some keys...

Also i noticed that when i start graphical KDE, GNome whatever i choose during install it just gives me a white screen with nothing on it... (only on 10.1). _Its wierd because its not completely white, more like whitish with some darker spots and areas on it, and then it slowly fades to more and more white all over :(

Guess im gonna hve to go back to what works... gentoo :) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem with 10.1 and my Vaio. has anyone found a solution to this yet? It is more than a month old, please help a nOOb, don't make me go back to that other o.s.!

• 2 weeks later...

yup, have you tried booting to init level 1? then try booting to init 3 and 5...and see which runlevel your keyboard screws up.

If it's still ok at init 3, it's probably a problem with the X server, which can be fixed easily. Actually, all signs (like that whitish screen thing) point to an X server problem with the display and keyboard drivers, but it wouldn't hurt to check the kernel too.

I got to sleep now, but if you leave more questions here I'll try to answer them tomorrow morning.

Edited by arthur