Upgrading 10.0PP to 10.1CErc1

Guest loa

Hi there experts..

I just recently installed 10.0 PowerPack on a new machine that is destined to take over many duties in the near future. I have it running nicely with 10.0, and have installed and configured many extra apps from the Application CDs (4 & 5), contribs, and plf.

Before I put it into production, I feel I need to evaluate 10.1- mainly for some hardware & 2.6.8 kernel improvements I've been wanting.

Now, if I do a straight upgrade (no worries, I'm backing up first!) - what happens to all my 'extra' packages? The ones that are on 10.0 PP cd 4&5 but not in the 10.1CErc1 release...? Will they still work, despite the base distro being upgraded right underneath them?

And what happens to all those old 10.0 sources- are they now useless with 10.1 (I'm guessing yes)?

tia!

David

It all depends on the dependencies. :) If some package from PLF depends on a package that is updated it will be removed. Same with source packages. If a package gets updated so will it's source package. And with the switch to X.org quite a lot of dependencies are involved. As always with Mandrake a clean reinstall is the best way to update.

Good luck.

there are actually five CDs for 10.1 CE available, so most of the stuff you have would be updated. For your situation, though, it might be an idea to try an urpmi-style upgrade - define sources for 10.1 main, contrib, plf and everything else you use, then do urpmi --auto-select. That way you get more control over what's going on and more of your packages will be updated. Yes, 10.0 sources will by and large be useless on 10.1, but 10.1 versions of most should be available (contrib and plf certainly are).

erm :). I'm not entirely sure what's on the fourth and fifth CDs, haven't investigated yet. If there's any commercial stuff on there, then that may not be available online yet - it seems there's no Club commercial repository for 10.1 as of yet. That's the only stuff that wouldn't be available in online media, though; contrib, plf and jpackage stuff all would be.

one thing I'm not sure of is whether the unsupported kde 3.3 packages that were supplied on the 10.1 CE ISOs are available online...anyone know?