help- CDRW USB Mandrake 9.2

Guest yigalweinstein

Guest yigalweinstein

TWIMC-this is probably quite a noob question as I am a noob.

I am running Mandake 9.2. I bought a generic, Hi-Val 40/12/48, CDRW to use to back up my HD in the case something bad happen(s/ed). It shows up on my desktop but I don't know how to read or write with it. It seems ide_scsi module is not installed in Mandrake 9.2 basic- this is what I have installed- but I am not sure if this is the reason that scsi emulation does not work when I tried to implement it- in any way this does not seem to work. If you have had experience dealing with this problem please tell me anything you can.

Sincerely,

Yigal W.

Shalom,

For starters, try starting k3b, the KDE CD burning software (assuming you use KDE), see if you have any luck with it.

To check if the module is loaded on boot,

login as root and run the lsmod command:

su
Password:
# lsmod |grep scsi
ide-scsi               11376   0
scsi_mod              105792   2  [sr_mod ide-scsi]

Piping to grep (|grep scsi) is optional. If the module is not loaded on boot, you can try loading it on boot by adding option hdc=ide-scsi to the line append="..." in the /etc/lilo.conf file (assuming the burner is mounted as /dev/hdc). After editing /etc/lilo.conf, run

#lilo -v

Also, it may be unrelated to the problem, but is worth checking. There used to be a bug in 9.2, which caused the CD burner to register many times as a different scsi device. I don't know if it has been fixed. To check if this problem is still there, start mandrake Control Centre (mcc), go to Hardware section, then click the Harddrake icon "HardDrake lists and helps you set up your hardware", then check the Section "CD/DVD burners", there has to be only one entry there. If you have several scd devices listed, add the option " hdclun=0" to the append line in /etc/lilo.conf. And yes, you must run #lilo -v afterwards.

Edit: Ooups, it may all be wrong, I missed that this is a USB burner.