VNC Question

BanjoTEKE

Got myself a Mandrake 10 set as a server and will be placed in a remote closet to serv for files and such... Networking not a problem... I can get around that guy... BUT!

Me not wanna run to closet everyday to work on it... I need to get VNC to run at STARTUP! I noticed mandrake 10 came with rbfdrake & Tight VNC... How can I get either to run at startup... with password so I do not have to run to the machine everyday? I tried x11vnc and it works, but I cannot figure out where to put that in startup either...

Help Linux-Boys!

:thanks:

in your KDE config panel (the KDE one, not the mdk one) select the networking section, there should be a "desktop sharing" (or "remote desktop", or some name like that, not at my machine at the moment).

If there isn't, do urpmi kdenetwork, and this should install the required componets (you may have to restart KDE?)

in the desktop sharing page you set it up for "don't confirm invitation locally", set your password, "allow controlling this machine", etc... (again this is done from memory so it may not be 100% exact)

EDIT: more detail in the KDE manual here: http://docs.kde.org/en/3.2/kdenetwork/krfb/using-krfb.html

now you should be able to connect to it using any VNCclient. If you're doing it over an untrusted netowrk, use SSH to tunnel and encrypt the data.

FYI, this doesn't always seem to work, so you may have to go to plan B:

Plan B:

urpmi x0rfbserver

now whenever you need to connect to your machine, SSH into it and type "DISPLAY=0: x0rfbserver" then you should be able to use the VNC client. (or just add x0rfbserver to your .kde/Autostart file, the equivalent of the "Startup" folder in windows"

x0rfbserver is an older version of the server and is slower but over a LAN it's not bad .

Plan C:

the vncserver in linux doesn't behave like under windows, you see a brand new KDE/Gnome/whatever session and don't see anything already started on your desktop. If that's what you want just put vncserver in your .kde/Autostart file with the proper command line options to accept connection automatically, etc... (man vncserver).

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Of course you may not want to use VNC at all, just do stuff through the command line over SSH (on windows use the PuTTY client) and already built in web interfaces like webmin (port 10000), etc...

Those should let you take care of 100% of the server without ever starting X

Your server will then have more resources to do the server thing rahter than waste them on a GUI environment that isn't going to be used.