Savage4 PCI issue

Guest mattK

Hello,

I've recently been trying different linux distros and think I have settled on Mandrake 10, however, I'm having an issue with installation. All seems to go well until I get to the point where I configure my video. I have an old S3 Savage Video card installed in a PCI slot, the installer senses this and I just click through accepting the settings it suggest. However, after installation, I log in and the video is covered in scanlines and is all broken up... yet, there is a crystal clear black arrow pointer with a large pair of short vertical lines( think pause symbol) next to it. I've recently installed RH9 and SuSE 9.1 and both have suggested the same video card/memory/settings in the graphic install system and have worked beautifully. For some reason Mandrake is giving me fits? Any one had a similar experience or have an idea on how to fix?

Thanks!

Matt

For years I've used a Creative S3 Savage 32MB video card. I'm *still* using it. I've never had any problems at all with several Linux distros, Win98, or Win2k. It just works, even 3D. However, I've never tried it with the 2.6 kernel,and I seem to remember hearing of a problem there somewhere. Just a hunch really, but you might try booting Mandrake 10 with the 2.4 kernel and see if that straightens it up.

If not, try re-running video setup without the GUI (without X running, from runlevel 3). If that fails...www.google/linux?

Crashdamage do you have DRI working also?

type in a terminal

$glxinfo | grep direct

What do you get?

I get:

acdispatcher@arora ~ $ glxinfo | grep direct

disabling TCL support

direct rendering: Yes

The reason I ask is because I have a Diamond Stealth 32MB PCI card and I could never get DRI to work.

Sorry, I meant I have a Diamond Stealth card...Creative/Diamond - really the same, but anyway...

$ glxinfo | grep direct

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.3.401

direct rendering: No

GLX Gears runs fine, (but of course not at state-of-the-art speeds) 3D is fine, but I never bothered to fool around with enabling DRI. Can't help you there.