GMailFS

a13x

I don't know where to place this thread so I posted it here.

OK now, I installed Python 2.3, FUSE 1.3, fuse-python binding and the rest of the required stuff but when I run the mount command (yes I copied it and pasted into the konsole with the required modifications)I get the man page.

Any ideas ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have spoken with Richard Jones and he helped me out. It seems that the mount commnad from his site (http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html) was the problem. Just type it like this and it will work:

mount -t gmailfs /usr/local/bin/gmailfs.py /path/of/mount/point -o username=gmailuser,password=gmailpass,fsname=zOlRRa

without space between "," and the next word.

• 1 month later...
Guest nikopol

I've kind of got it working but I can't write to the FS. I just get errors like this.

$ tee test.txt
ERROR:gmailfs:Send failed too many times
tee: test.txt: No space left on device

Could this be google trying to stop this type of use? my network connection is generally fine so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Guest nikopol

Looks like it's due to an upgrade in Gmail's system - upload is now impossible.

Just found this on the gmailfs website:

Tuesday October 19th 2004

GmailFS has stopped working for file uploads. You are still able to read existing files on your filesystems. I'll update here if and when this problem is resolved. Google has made some improvements to their interface and libgmail will probably need to be updated to co-operate with the new changes.

Guest nikopol

Well I think it will work as soon as the libgmail crowd update their library to take into account the recent changes to gmail. The error message I'm getting is part of the inability experienced by all to upload to gmail at the mo'.

That said I can see why Google will be less than happy with this type of use of their mail service and can fully understand if they try to block this. Gmx don't seem to mind tho'

Guest nikopol

there was a huge debate on /. over this issue with people quoting TOS and others arguing that it wasn't. I kinda lost interest after reading 15 or so posts. That said, if gmail want to shut my account and no longer be able to parse my emails for private informatio, that's fine... I just find that gmailfs would avoid me having to send emails to myself with attachments in them - it's much easier just doing a cp file /gmail :)

Guest nikopol

It would be good but I guess the reason to prevent more than 20Mb attachments is to avoid the server being bombarded with 500Mb files. That said your option sounds quite nice and problem free for them but a feature that most users will not need or plan to use.

Someone on /. was wondering how long it takes before someone extends this to make the program link a dozen or more gmail accounts into one unified filesystem. Sound s like a potential nightmare given gmail's prominence so I imagine if abused this will definitely mean trouble. I imagine if I just use it to transfer about a meg of data each night (latex files, code and some data) to work at home I won't be abusing the system though you're right I'm violating the TOS. Well I haven't done that yet as it's not working at the mo ;)