MNF with Dan's Guardian

red

Ok...as a previous post of mine says, I have finally gotten MNF working and pretty well. I have on remaining issue. Dans Guardian and content filtering.

I just cannot seem to get the proxy to block web sites nor honor time restrictions which I assume are controlled by dan's guardian.

I have he squid proxy running and it seems to be functioning properly. I went ahead and logged at the console of the MNF box and tried to start dan's guardian I receive this error.

proxyport

Too short or missing

Error parsing the dansguardian.conf file or other DansGuardian configuration files

It DG is not running.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

RED

If Dan's Guardian is not working, could it be that MNF or Dan's is looking for output from the config file. Also it may be that squid and Dan's are not living together comfortably. I had not heard of Dan's before your post and while it may not be a true proxy, it may be acting enough like one to fail in your configuration.

Counterspy

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I should clarify a few things. I did not add Squid or Dan's, they were both installed by default with the MNF package, so one woudl assume they shoudl coexist just fine.

If I am understanding this system correctly, squid handles proxy and web caching function of the package. Dan's handles the content filtering portion because Squid is not able to. There are no options to use one or the other. Squid is activated when you choose to use a proxy and web caching, Dan's is activated if you activate content filtering and set other rules such as access time periods.

Now just for kicks and giggles, i entered a procy port and restarted i was then asked for a proxy IP, when I entered an ip (127.0.0.0) it was unable to connect.

Squid is using port 3324(i think) so i cannot use the same one for Dan's. What port and IP do I set for Dan's is the real question,

Thanks,

RED

I took a quick look at Google Advanced about Dan's Guardian and it seems you are not alone. You might want to start by looking at our Old Docs Section in the Administration Section, Services II. There are 39 other posts consisting primarily of users reporting their experiences with it. There are How-To's in addition to the install docs on the Dan's Guardian web site if you haveb't already exhausted those.

Counterspy

Guest Phat Penguin

I have dansguardian running on the gateway machine at home and it is set to port 4444 (it can be anything about 1024) - I also have it listening to proxy IP of 192.168.1.1 (gateway) and squid proxy on port 8080 and it works a treat. Port 3128 is the default for squid.

Make sure you have a look at /var/log/messages after you try and fire up DG and it will tell you which of the blacklist files maybe be causing the problems. DG requires at least 5kb of info in each of these files, so even if one of the URL or Domain files is empty just make a commented out line like:

# this file is for block bad sites

or in the main files in /etc/dansguardian just comment out the blacklist files that are causing errors. It can be a little fiddly but can be easily overcome if you keep referring back to /var/log/messages to see where it is falling over.

Hope this is of help.

• 1 month later...

I found if you SSH into the firewall and run:

dansguardian -c /etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf

You can see the errors. When I did this is said it couldn't find the proxyport within the dansguardian.conf file.

I'm not sure how it lost the proxyport.