Does mandrake work on multi-proc machines?

Guest ethrbunny

Guest ethrbunny

Not a tough question.. looks like the BSD versions don't so I was curious if the same applied to Linux. Is there anything to be gained by running my apps on a multi-processor box?

Just curious..

I use a dual 433MHz celeron motherboard. It runs great. The amount of usage you get out of 2 CPUs increases with the number of processes and/or threads you run at the same time. Most software only use one thread so you wont see any increase by just running that per se but if you run other stuff at the same time it helps. Some newer games use multiple threads pretty well. I bought UT2003 and it makes pretty good use of both processors (on average about 1.5 times the power of 1 CPU). It really works for me when I run programs that I write that just do plain computations flat out. The program will use one CPU at 100% constantly and I can still get good mouse and X windows response when using other programs on the second CPU.

However, a single CPU at twice the dual CPU speed will always be as good or better.

Glitz.