Norton Ghost clone or equivalent

roland

what I have to do:

copy my whole hda to hdb so that I can replace hda with the new hdb.

hda is 40 GB, hdb is 160 GB so that must fit.

at reboot it should run as if nothing has happened ... except that now I have around 120 GB of free space.

Type of partitions to copy: FAT32, ReiserFS (swap: I don't care)

How :unsure: ?

By the way:

- my old Norton Ghost 5.1 can't do this job,

- I had a look in partimage. I can be wrong, but it seems to me it's not adapted for this job (I didn't see any disk to disk option, you have to make an image file before. Worse, to make the image the source partition can't be mounted. That make create an image of root complicate no ?)

- dd or cp command ?

somebody ?

many thanks

roland

Once again here is one where I do the questions and the answer. :screwy:

But, ladies and gentlemen listen, you have to know:

THAT WORKED ! :D :D :thumbs: B)

I'm not a newb any more !

How to replace a disk and copy the content of the old disk to the new one ? The right way is MY way, I've discovered myself, alone like a real geek.

Look well. It is:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

Hit Enter, wait 45 mn, shut down the pc when it's finished, open the pc, remove the old hda, don't forget to put the old hdb as master so it became hda, switch on the pc, THAT'S ALL !!

Somebody to put this in proper english and then in tip and trick ?

roland

P.S: Again, thank you roland, you're the boss :jester:

Edit:

- of course if your new disk is somewhere else than /dev/hdb, that's a little different. - of course, if the destination hd has valuable data in it, better save them before.

Ok ?

Edited by roland

What is this? Mental m... whoops!

Sorry I don't see what you mean :unsure:

How is this different from 

copy -pax [source] [dest]

Just curious, me?

copy .. cp you mean ?

I don't know how it's different. I'll have a look, no time now.

I guess I've just reinvented the weel, discovered something I should have known already: the dd command.

Ok, but so obvious that after hours of googling and search in this forum, nowhere I've seen that dd was the right answer for my problem witch probably a lot of people had before me :o

If I've ran dd and if it was the right command, that's more luck than anything else (I don't even know how I had this command in mind)

So, imo:

-A there should be something about dd on tip and trick,

-B the man may have to be rewritten: I don't see anybody understand anything about the crap written there about dd (at least in french)

Now let's be clear: I'm NOT volunteer for job A and B.

roland

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

Hit Enter, wait 45 mn, shut down the pc when it's finished, open the pc, remove the old hda, don't forget to put the old hdb as master so it became hda, switch on the pc, THAT'S ALL !!

It may actually work, but there is one little problem - your new 160 GB is partitioned exactly ( almost ) as your old one was, so the 120 free GB are in an unpartitioned space. And one more thing - it works only for new big disks, that ( logically ) do not differ in geometry.

It may actually work, but there is one little problem - your new  160 GB is partitioned exactly ( almost ) as your old one was, so the 120 free GB are in  an unpartitioned space. And one more thing - it works only for new big disks, that ( logically ) do not differ in geometry.

No problem: it's easy to expand the last partition and anyway with linux it's easy to make a new /usr or /var or else partition if they don't fit in the old / size. That's one beauty of Linux.

The geometry problem is more serious. It couldn't be that simple. I wonder what happen if the source and destination disk are not the same kind, ie one IDE, other SCSI, one (P)ATA , the other SATA, .....

Partition Image ;)

Nope. Not the right tool to make a disk to disk clone.