SLOW network transfer! (MDK10 to WXP-Pro/SP2)

kenton

Computer 1 (Linux): Onboard RealTek 10/100 Network (SiS 700 series)

Computer 2 (Windows): Onboard nForce MCP Network Adapter

Hub: 3COM 10/100 Fast Ethernet

Both computers are in 100Mbps/Full Duplex operation.

I'm moving about 6GB of files from computer to computer right now barely getting over 1MB/s. I noticed it and restarted both computers to no avail. Still about 1.3MB/s.

try the following stuff

for windows make sure it is set to 100

http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/trouble.html

for Linux/mdk try ethtool

http://www.its.monash.edu.au/projects/edge...plex/linux.html

urpmi ethtool

if it isn't installed by default.

Try forcing 100mb full duplex and see if that helps speed things up.

Heh, yeah.  If you're using a SWITCH, and I'm using a HUB, and you barely hit 2MB, and I'm (now) at 1.5MB/ps, then yes -- there is a problem.

well, technically speaking, my switch should have a slightly faster transfer rate ;) less packet collision. but really, it averaged 1.4-1.7

even so, it -is- a damned fast transfer rate. I transfered 1.5gb in about 15-20 minutes. not bad ;)

Another thing you could try is adding this to your modprobe.conf in /etc

options e100 e100_speed_duplex=4

This is just an example because on the box I'm typeing from has an e100 nic in it.

alias eth0 e100

options e100 e100_speed_duplex=4

http://www.scyld.com/eepro100.html <-- you can see on the left hand side, more cards.

Is the transfer of files from windows to windows machine any faster? I always though that windows file transfers were "pacing" themselves.

I didn;t measure the speed but I noticed that hte lights on my switch blink on/off and that seems to indicate the the transmission is not "continous".

I don't know if this is a "feature" of the samba server.

Heh, yeah.  If you're using a SWITCH, and I'm using a HUB, and you barely hit 2MB, and I'm (now) at 1.5MB/ps, then yes -- there is a problem.

well, technically speaking, my switch should have a slightly faster transfer rate ;) less packet collision. but really, it averaged 1.4-1.7

even so, it -is- a damned fast transfer rate. I transfered 1.5gb in about 15-20 minutes. not bad ;)

1.5 GB are (1.5x1024=)1536MB --> 1536 MegaBytes

Your NIC works at 100 Megabits per second (Mbps), and 1 byte = 8 bites, so 100/8 = 12.5, your NIC works at 12.5 MB/second, but thats just in theory.

In reallity top ethernet speed is about 1/3 of the peak rate, so that makes a 100 Mbps NIC speed to be somewhere around (12.5 / 3 =) 4 MB/sec, and then you have overheat and other factors that do dicrease this speed. Mine works at about an average of 2.5 - 3 MB/sec, so i wouldnt consider yours' speed as a 'dammed fast transfer rate' but just as a lower-than-average though still normal transfer rate.

Now we divide 1536 MB / 1.5 MB = 1024 seconds

1024 seconds / 60 = 17 minutes

Those figures are more or less what you said you got.

yeah, what you said :P

i didn't know the exact bit/byte translation, can't seem to keep that in my head.

when i said "damned fast transfer rate" i was comparing it to, say, downloading from a server on broadband ;) but there are, of course, many more factors in that equation.