Mandrake 10.0 on Compaq

Buster

Hi,

I have just updated from Mandrake 9.1 to Mandrake 10.0 on a Compaq EvoN1020v (a portable) and ran into a problem with the graphics driver. The adaptor is ATI RS200M, 1024x768x60Hz, 32 bit, which I cannot find among the supported drivers; the installation script chooses ATI Radeon and when I run the test I get an error message:

Unable to determine the screen layout. I have also tried the some of the other ATI options, but get the same error message. It is probably a case of using the wrong driver. I worked fine with Mandrake 9.1, so it is a bit strange it doesn't with 10.0.

Do I have to download the driver from somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

You could consult ATI's website - they provide propriety drivers much like nvidia, but not all of their chipsets are supported, so hop on over there and check it out.

You could also google for your card and find out if it is compatible...

I have looked booth at the ATI and the HP/Compaq sites, but as far as I can tell the ATI RS200M has no official Linux support. From the Mandrake site I got the following data:

Mandrakelinux 10.0 features the following software:

Kernel 2.6.3

XFree86 4.3

Mandrake Linux 9.1 features the following software:

Kernel 2.4.21

XFree86 4.3.0

The strange thing is that 9.1 and 10.0 appear to have the same version of XFree86, which worked with 9.1 but not with 10.0. Could it be that XFree86 is compiled with different parameters on 10.0?

did you allow it to finish the install? sometimes cards won't work right during the install, but on boot seem to work perfectly. strange, i know. also, we could try using XFdrake to fix it after install.