Kernel 2.6

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. My question is quick, and hopefully simple enough to answer :)

When I boot mandrake 10 with 2.6 it takes an extraordinary amount of time to boot, it takes for ever checking or mounting the partitions. I don't know why, any ideas? Also, it won't shut down when I'm using 2.6. I can reboot, but if I tell it to shut down it doesn't correctly power down the computer.

Mandrake's kernels are heavily patched and configured so that they can deploy on just about any setup. The upside of this is that the user doesn't have to compile a kernel to get everything working, the downside is that the kernel is bulky and takes longer to load (because it is processing all sorts of modules you don't need). I'm not sure why it is taking longer to mount/check drives... what filesystem are the partitions giving problems? Also, how much swap space and ram do you have?

The moral of the story is, if you want a streamlined and quick kernel, compile one youself. My 2.6.8 kernel boots in 30s (no jokes).

The shutdown/reboot problems could be on the side of your DE, or could be due to an incorrectly compiled kernel. So, back to what I said before ;)

I have 512mb of ram, and about that in swap space a little less purely from memory. The partitions are ext3. Compiling my own kernel is a little out of my reach at this point in time, I'm still trying to get other things working right.

2.4 boots fine, and fast, and shuts it down. I was just wondering if there was some issue with 2.6.

ah :P mdk kernels are fine, and in fact faster than most custom compiled kernels, depending on the enduser/patches etc of course...., but they do run hot (10C more on my box), which is why I run the vanilla.

What version of mandrake? You mentioned the 2.4 kernel so I'm guessing you have 9.2?

How did you get 2.6?

Is acpi installed and enable at boot w/ the 'on' not 'ht' or 'off' option in the bootloader?

I'm running mandrake 10 on a clean install. The boot loader was configured with several options to boot from, linux, and 2456. So if I uname -r now I get 2.4.25-2mdk. If I run under the other its a 2.6 (according to this its 2.6.3-7mdk), I Dunno exactly off the top of my head ... I keep using this one cause it takes so damn long to boot otherwise.

I'll enable ACPI now and see if that fixes the problem. I'll get back to you again if not. For now I'm going to bed, so expect a reply tomorrow sometime ;)

Edited by Thorvan

You might be running extra services at boot and it sounds like you might be having an issue with harddrake scanning for new hardware. There is really no need to run harddrake on every boot.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. My question is quick, and hopefully simple enough to answer :)

When I boot mandrake 10 with 2.6 it takes an extraordinary amount of time to boot, it takes for ever checking or mounting the partitions. I don't know why, any ideas? Also, it won't shut down when I'm using 2.6. I can reboot, but if I tell it to shut down it doesn't correctly power down the computer.