Sound device busy after mplayerplug-in used

dmkh

Hi everyone

I use MDK 10.0 OE and have this annoying problem with sound :

After using mplayerplug-in to view trailers on Yahoo Movie, I always have no sound anymore. When restarting X, I see an error message stating that sound device is busy and when trying to play Noatun or Mplayer they don't work at all. I have no choice but rebooting the PC to have the sound back.

Has anyone the same problem and a solution ?

Thanks

Edited by dmkh

There is no such thing as the alsa sound server :). What probably is happening is that mplayerplug-in doesn't close down coreectly and keeps your soundcard occupied. Look in your list of active processes and see if mplayer is listed. If it is kill it. That should give you back sound.

KDE uses the aRTs sound server to pass sounds to the soundcard. It's supposed to allow various programs to share the sound cards resources. ao=arts will send the sound from mplayer to the arts server, which will then output it to your sound card. this is something you want to do when using KDE.

There is something that prefends mplayer from closing down correctly and since you have problems with the sound my guess would be that it is sound related. So playing around with the ao (audio output) settings of mplayer should help you.

For arts? read Tyme's post :)

It's possible to use mplayer to watch streaming real media content. I think PLF has a rpm with the codecs. Install these and it should work.

However the new realplayer 10 works better. So I would advice to go with realplayer for real files

PS The post by Tyme I ment is the one in this threat, 4:31Pm :D

Tyme, I'm very sorry. I've read your post but didn't see your name.

Thank you for the tip as for your Unicode fonts RPM.

devries, I've tried the new Real Player 10. It works well but I've had problem with video on reuters.com. I'll give it another try. Thanks

I see what you mean. The reuters site doesn't work for me either (realplayer and mplayer). I guess we will have to wait till they do something about it :(

(Usually you can look in the page source for a direct link to the video but I can't even get the source to display. Reuters seems pretty protective about their content. Don't know why because they make their money by selling people information. When you can't watch the information no wonder they loose money. Anyway plenty of other sites for newsclippings)