aMule crash and connection issues

Guest CaptainRegular

Guest CaptainRegular

Ok, I got Mandrake 10, fresh on the CDs, auto-updated the packages from the net during the initial install, it does that automatically. Other than that, I haven't done ANYTHING other than edit my smb.conf to get a shared directory. I have TWO issues with aMule. One. I followed the FAQ instructions about installing wxGTK and wxBase thingies and then installed aMule all from RPMs. I'm a new to Linux and don't know if I'm ready to start compiling from source. Anyway, aMule shuts itself down. Randomly, with no prompt or user intervention. No error messages, nothing. Just -poof- and it's gone. I can restart it no problem, but whether it's onscreen, minimized, or in the systray, it can just...go away. ALSO, when it IS up for a good stretch of time (20+ minutes) I can rarely connect to ANY servers. I've tried different server lists, my WinXP copy of eMule works beautifully, always gets a HighID, all my machines have a regular IP on the network through a Linksys router, and I have the TCP and UDP ports forwarded with it properly, both to WinXP and Linux. I still almost NEVER get a HighID on the Linux machine when I DO get connected. I suspect there's some other sort of internal software firewall in Linux or something that isn't letting SOMETHING through properly, but I have no clue how to disable it or remove it. But my biggest problem is the random crashes of aMule. Judging by all the (relatively) complicated instructions on installing aMule on Mandrake 10, there's SOME known issue, and I suspect it's the one I am having (I followed those MDK10 instructions to the LETTER from the aMule website) but I haven't been able to find any SOLUTION to it anywhere. I would be fine with running it just from the CLI (only need to bring it up to search and add downloads) and no GUI, but apparently aMule can't be separated from it's GUI yet. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks and please help! Still a Linux n00b.

• 1 month later...
Guest CaptainRegular

Ok, I got an update. I urpmi'ed it with the proper dependencies, and it's a slightly older version that is much more STABLE, but I have a slightly...modified version of the connection issue. Same with more stable version of xMule, too. Basically, I can now connect to ANY server and get a HighID. That's good! Downside is, I lose that connection in under two seconds on pretty much EVERY server. It seems that the Korean ones and a few of the smaller ones with funny characters in the name can retain a connection. At first I thought it was my ISP (Charter cable in Virginia) blocking them. Damn, I thought. I had seen this on forums. But I tried eMule on my WinXP box and can STILL connect to ANYTHING and KEEP a connection. The same thing happens with aMule AND xMule on the same Linux box. MDK 10. Windows box works PERFECTLY with eMule. All going through the router, I have no idea.