Quadro FX 1000 Problems....

flarefox

Ok, I followed these instructions:

After downloading, you go to terminal, as root, and you type init 3(make sure everything important is saved). this will shutdown the x server, and will give you a console, you log in as root again, navigate to your download folder, and type:

CODE

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run

9. type vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (enter)

10. type i (this is for insert mode so you can isert the proper driver line)

11. use your arrow keys & scroll to the section where it says Section "Module". under that, make sure there's a line that says Load "glx" # 3d layer . if there isn't, add it as the last line, then hit esc .

12. if it says either or both of the following under the "Module" section (Load "DRI" Load "Glcore"), remove them by typing i & using the arrow keys to navigate to them & the space or backspace bar(s) to remove them. hit esc .

13. type i & use your arrow keys to navigate to where it says Section "Device". navigate to where it says Driver "nv" or Driver "vesa" & make it read Driver "nvidia" .........that's Driver(space)(quotes)nvidia(quotes)

and when I did all that, now my nvidia driver works wonderfully, but everything else randomly crashes! When I close a program, it crashes on close. When anything runs, instead of closing nicely, it is detected as a crash! What do I need to do to fix it? I'd reinstall everything if I didn't already know that would screw me over for graphics again. I need to be able to run with the graphics that I have yet keep the programs running. What could be causing everything to crash so much?

Nevermind, I got it to work. I had to install the graphics libraries that came with mandrake on a reinstall "upgrade" of mandrake and then go back in an reinstall the new drivers and it all works fine now and looks amazing!

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]