can't configure postfix

mdk 10 has been driving me nuts lately.

It all started with my wanting to use a script called logwatch, that distills logs into an email summary for the purpose of alerting the administrator of potential security issues..

logwatch uses the "mail" command to send email.

When I try to the the mandrake control panel's "server configuration" wizrd for postfix, it asks me a couple of questions then simply tells me to that the install fails, without any details, and tells me to try with different parameters.

how do I send mail from the command line using the "mail" command in mandrake 10?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have not used postfix, but if you install the sendmail program even the basic setup wiil send e-mail using logwatch to the roots mail folder. /var/spool/mail.....

For info on sending mail using a consol, simply type

man mail

Personally, i wouldn't use the mandrake control centre wizards. Here's an idea for you, open a consol as root (su) then type

urpmi webmin

Then

urpmi sendmail

Then

service webmin start

Then in your browser, type https://127.0.0.1:10000

Or, https://localhost:10000

When webmin opens, click on servers, and then sendmail. At the bottom of the sendmail config, Start sendmail.

Have fun.

Problem solved.

For whatever reason sendmail wasn't working either (messges would never leave the queue), so I removed it (urpme), made sure postfix was removed too.

I then re-installed postfix (urpmi postfix) and made sure not to use the wizard.

When I would try to use mail, I would still get some weird error message, but after a bit of research of the internet it turns out I forgot to start the service, so after doing a "postcript start" everything started working just fine.