Mandrake resets DNS server 1 to 127.0.0.1

kenton

Mandrake X keeps resetting my primary DNS server to 127.0.0.1. I've set it to 192.168.0.1 a million times, and everytime I reboot it's back to 127.0.0.1. My network/internet still works, but it takes a minute because Linux keeps looking at localhost for a DNS entry then waits on it to fail, then talks to 192.168.0.1.

How can I keep my primary DNS (DNS server 1) at 192.168.0.1? TIA

What is your physical config?

192.168.0.1 is a private address - presumeably a router/cable modem running a DNS server?

If so, it may also be running a DHCP server - check that is not issuing 127.0.0.1 as the primary DNS.

How are you changing the DNS address? You can change it manually by editing /etc/resolv.conf as root.

Depending on where it is getting changed, you may also (as a dirty hack) be able to copy a new resolv.conf over the top of the old one in /etc/rc.d/rc.local - something like 'cp /etc/resolv.good /etc/resolv.conf'

chris

I've got a generic 10/100 5 port hub connecting three computers. Two Windows, one Linux. One of the Windows computers is 192.168.0.1 because it provides the internet access. I don't have a router because I'm still 56k at home. No DSL/cable offered, only $600 up-front satellite. :\

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman]

Bit scary using the windows box to dial up with - caught anything lately? :)

The file /etc/sysconfig/net_resolv.default might be worth altering.

If you still have no luck:

Have a look at my howto: simple network setup your setup should look something like it - this

This_PC-->hub/switch-->another PC running (working) internet connection sharing
is what you are trying to do.

I think the main points are to make sure DHCP is disabled and make sure you have your ISPs DNS server at the top of /etc/resolv.conf (unless you really are running a nameserver on your windows box??) - see if that works. Your gateway should be 192.168.0.1.

Post the config files mentioned at the bottom of the howto if you are still stuck.

Chris