No sound in kde

santner

I was working with some very large video files and accidentally wrote one to my root partition, filled it up to 100% capacity and when I rebooted received an error that my partition was full(obviously), but kde also sent an error saying something about the sound server crashing. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because I had bigger fish to fry, but now I get no sound. :unsure:

My experience in the past has never dealt with sound issues, always been AOK. Now I don't even know where to start. Any ideas?

The soundserver in KDE is called arts. You can start it by typing 'artsd' in a console or by just playing a sound file.

It is possible to shut down the soundserver in the KDE control center-->sound & multimedia-->soundsysten-->untick soundsystem activate.

You will still have sound but no longer all the fancy tricks arts is capable of.

Probably something got buggered when you had to reboot and a reset of the soundsystem should make it all right. If not try restarting ALSA (that's the part of Linux that let's you have sound) by (as root) typing /etc/init.d/alsa stop and /etc/init.d/alsa start. Make sure you have closed all sound apps, including kmix, else alsa won't start.

Good luck

Let's try to find out if it's a KDE user thing, a KDE thing, or an Linux thing.

Exit X, log in as root and start KDE. Do you have sound now? Then it's a KDE user thing.

Make sure you have killed artsd, open xmms and try playing a song. You have sound now? Then it's a KDE thing.

Still no sound? Then it's a a Linux thing.

If it's a KDE (user) thing play with the settings, maybe choose OSS, make sure nothing is muted, rename your .kde folder etc etc.

If it's a Linux thing, go to the MCC, hardware, hardware, soundcard and choose config. Pick an other module (driver) and try again.

Good luck

I exited X, started kde...no sound.

I killed artsd:

ps ax | grep artsd

and then started xmms and played a file, still no sound.

I went to MCC, hardware, hardware, sound and changed the driver for my VIA KM133 chipset, still no sound. :wall:

Could I have inadvertantly muted all sound? How can I check for that?

Also, this all started when I filled up my root partition to maximum capacity, rebooted and received some sort of kde arts error message.

Ok it seems to be a linux/alsa thing. Can you check /var/log/messages and post the obvious alsa parts.

PS Yes that's why I find it hard to belief there is something wrong with your sound setup. The filling up can crash your 'sound' but it shouldn't be able to damage it. Usually a reset/reboot after something like this happened would fix things.

Settings like mute, volume etc etc you can check in kmix or the alsamixergui