Can't Start up X

lrsach01

OK...I'm having some trouble with X but I'm not ENTIRELY sure where the problem is. It all started when I got a new computer and decided to put Mandrake 10 on it. I'd been using 9.2 for a while with no problems at all. I've always had an easy time installing the latest version. Easy as pie...no problems (well the supermount thing a couple of years ago was a pain). Any how, my new system is a Dell Optiplex GX270 with a P4 3GHz, 1gig of ram, and a fine flat panel monitor (a Dell 1703FP Analog). One note that may be important: my video controller is on the motherboard...and Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller. Trouble started up from the day I tried installing Madrake 10 Power pack. It was a small thing, but I could not access the nice pretty graphic install. I had the old time "tab here, press enter there" installation (no gui, no mouse). No big deal. The typical install will work fine and then i can tweak it when I'm up and running. OK...install complete and I go for my first login. Nothing is there except a pretty light blue screen. I twiddle the mouse and see a white square. Some how my desk top is HUGE! So huge that my screen cannot show the whole thing. I can get around to everything by moving the mouse, but this is rediculous. I double check the settings recommended for my monitor (1280X1024 and 60 Hz). I go into the system settings wizard and set the both the monitor type and resolution. I'm prompted to restart X, so I do.....blank screen...10 seconds and I get a login prompt. OK...I login and type startx. I get the following error,"Screens found but none with usable configurations. No Screens found." Now what? I didn't mean to hurt my nice pretty new computer but I somehow have. :( Any help would be appreciated.

From your description, there are two probs here.

1. During your first attemt, you had the desktop resolution much lower than the resolution of the display. I saw something like this when I was using 640x480 desktop on the 1400x1050 screen. You can change the resolution on the fly by pressing Ctrl+Alt+"+"/"-" (you know, those + and - on the right adge of the keyboard...). If you look at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, somewhere at the end you'll find:

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Card0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultColorDepth 16
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     1
               Modes "1400x1050" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "1280x1024"
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     4
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     8
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     15
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     16
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     24
       EndSubSection
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     32
       EndSubSection
EndSection

Usually, the 1st mode is the default mode. You can manually edit the file to start X at a resolution you like.

2. "No screesn found" means that the videocard does not support any of the screens defined in the Screens section of XF86Config-4. Apparently, the original XF86Config-4 file was overwritten by Xdrake (or whatever it's called). My suggestion would be to boot into init 3 (console mode), and try to configure X again. When you're prompted to setup the graphic login, say "no" until you find the X configuration which you're happy with. To start with, accept the detected options, and see if you can start X. Then post the XF86Config-4 here, someone should be able to help. BACKUP that file before you start tweaking it.

[no need to include whole of immediately preceding post! - spinynorman]

command from console is $ XFdrake.

I think coverup is right. The graphics card is not set correctly. Just experienced this my self-- huge screen resolution and all. Once I got the card configured I was able to enjoy my new computer. You should be able to do the same. If your graphics chipset is not supported ( and it might not be if it is new-market ) you should be able to get by using the 'vesa' driver or perhaps the 'vga' driver in the x86 section of XFdrake. For me, my chipset was not supported (via km400) and the 'vesa' driver yeilded average performance. I ended up buying a used nvidia card for like 40 bucks and it works great.

good luck

tsw

OK guys...THANKS! I'm almost there. I was able tp get myt gui back (just love that KDE). Now, I'm not sure what to do about the original problem. Just to describe it a little better: its like my desktop is 3 ft by 3 ft but my viewing area is only 6 in by 6 in. By moving the window around, I can see the whole desktop but this is hardle ideal. Here is the XF86Config-4 file:

[SIZE=1]# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
   Load "dri" # direct rendering
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "Keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "Dell"
   ModelName "Dell 1703FP (Analog)"
   HorizSync 30.0-80.0
   VertRefresh 56.0-76.0

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
   # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
   # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "Intel Corporation"
   BoardName "Intel 865"
   Driver "i810"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 16

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1024 768
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   Screen "screen1"
EndSection

[SIZE=7][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Now what? I've notice one thing about linux...its never the same problem twice. Its ALWAYS something new. I've learned a ton each time I upgrade. :P

You see, you have only one virtual screen 1024x768, and no high res screens. XF86Config-4 does not contain modeline definitions for your monitor, and you don't have any modes defined either. I don't know much about this, but could be the cause of your troubles. Instead of using XFdrake, try one of the XFree X configuration tools (XFree86 -configure, xf86config, xf86cfg). I would do this from the console.

If you don't succeed, you may want to manually edit XF86Config-4 getting rid of virtual screens and replacing them with a list of display modes. There has been many posts around about that. You may also find ready-to-use XF86Config-4 files using i810 driver (google for XF86Config + i810) and tweak them to your like. Also, I've seen posts on this forum that refer to a website where you can enter details of your monitor (resolution, and frequency), and get the corresponding modeline to include in XF86Config-4. Another useful tool for tweaking screen resoultion and modelines is xvidtune. Be careful with it; at least, it can tell you what modeline is being used.

If everything fails, your safe bet would be to get a Knoppix CD and use XF86Config-4 created by Knoppix.not

[no need to include whole of immediately preceding post! - spinynorman]

Edited by spinynorman

More fun and games. I commented out the entire subsection "Display" from my XF86cinfig-4 file then dropped into command line. I tried all the suggested utilities (XFree86, xf86config, and xf86cfg). Each one of them resulted in the same errors I saw earlier (no screens available...no X server). So I went back and tried XFDrake. I got X back up, but with the same screen size problem. I guess I'm down to manually editing the file.

Yes. for the i810, put the actual resolutions in there and take out, or #comment out the virtual nonesense.

How do you notate the actual resolutions? Should I have commented out the entire Display subsections?

The best way is to use Knoppix to do the autodetection for you. If it's not available, this procedure worked for me in the past. Use it at your own risk!

1. Go to http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl and calculate a suitable modeline for your display. Be careful and choose only values suitable for your monitor, wrong modelines could fry the monitor - you've been warned! As an example, the modeline for resolution 1152x864 at refresh rate 85Hz will look like this

Modeline "1152x864@85" 132.80 1152 1184 1688 1720 864 880 892 908

2. Add it to the Monitor section of XF86Config-4, just above the #Sony Vaio:

# 1152x864 @ 85.03 Hz, 77.2 kHz hsync
Modeline "1152x864" 132.80 1152 1184 1688 1720 864 880 892 908

The values 85.03Hz and 77.2 kHz are calculated values, also I changed "1152x864@85" to "1152x864" because that's how my modeline looks. Not sure, whether this is necessary.

3. Edit the Screen section. Remove (or better comment out with #) all subsections "Display" that contain virtual screens and replace them with this

Subsection "Display"
       Depth       15
       Modes       "1152x864"
   EndSubsection
   Subsection "Display"
       Depth       16
       Modes       "1152x864"
    EndSubsection
   Subsection "Display"
       Depth       24
       Modes       "1152x864"
    EndSubsection

4. Save and start X. If it works, you can add more modelines and append them to the line Modes. You will be able to switch between them by pressing <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<+>/<->.

Coverup, tsw, bvc, you guys are the best. I followed every tip, trick, hint, explanation, and even man page (when in doubt). Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. If this were my home computer, I would have stuck with trying everything to get the system to work. However, this is my work computer and I have an expense accout (even if its small). So...I got my self a nice nVidia GeForce 5200 card with 256 Mb of ram. :) Worked first time right out of the box. It even installed easier on my Linux partition than on my Win partition. I still wish I could have gotten the Intel controller to work. I did learn alot about the system though and dropped alot of my "command line/ file editing" fear. Thanks for the help!