Mandrake 10 - SSH problems

Guest NightvisioN

Guest NightvisioN

Hi there,

I started to use linux for about 8 day's now and finding out more stuff and more and more.

But now i am a bit stuck :(

This is my problem.

1) I installed the ssh service and offcourse started the service. On my windows computer i installed putty to connect to my linux computer but i can' connect, what happens is putty jumps up stays in my screen for about 4 seconds with the black screen with green cursor and then quit's the entire program.

2) From my windows computer i cannot ping my linux computer, and no i don't have a firewall that is active.

Thanks for all your replies.

NV.

I started to use linux for about 8 day's now and finding out more stuff and more and more.

Well done, welcome to this community. I'm sure you'll love it.

1) I installed the ssh service and offcourse started the service. On my windows computer i installed putty to connect to my linux computer but i can' connect, what happens is putty jumps up stays in my screen for about 4 seconds with the black screen with green cursor and then quit's the entire program.

2) From my windows computer i cannot ping my linux computer, and no i don't have a firewall that is active.

- What distro are u using? Mandrakelinux??

- How did you set the security setting during instalation? Higher than 'standard' ??

- Have you set up networking correctly? can you ping your window$ box from the linux one?

Edited by feralertx

As can be seen in the title, he's running Mandrake 10 ;)

I think we need to concern ourselves with the setup of your network. How are these two computers connected together? Router? Switch/Hub? Crossover cable?

What are their IP addresses? Most likely the problem with putty is a result of the windows machine not being able to contact the Linux machine. You said you don't have a firewall, but that could mean two things - physical or software? If you meant physical, did you make sure to turn off the firewall that comes with Mandrake?

Guest NightvisioN

Well done, welcome to this community. I'm sure you'll love it.

- How did you set the security setting during instalation? Higher than 'standard' ??

- Have you set up networking correctly? can you ping your window$ box from the linux one?

Hi tnx mate, i'm enjoying linux much more then i did M$ in the beginning.

- Mandrake linux 10.

- Security is higher then normal, the one below getting loco :screwy: :D

But i allready changed that so that didn't work putting it back to normal.

- Network settings are correct, dhcp, or static doesn't matter, i can ping to my windows machine that's no problem.

Allso tryed some iptable tricks a friend of mine gave me but didn't work eighter.

To tyme:

I have got a built in firewall from my internet router but that one only protecs the internet doesn't effect my local lan.

I use these ip's

Static ip windows: 192.168.0.117

Dhcp or static linux: 192.168.0.4

Router: 192.168.0.2

Accespoint: 192.168.0.1

Firewall i did check and that was like this:

Computer options > firewall > wass put inactive so no firewall is turned on there. Or is ther another firewall i don't know off ?

Edited by NightvisioN

Hi there!

Static ip windows: 192.168.0.117

Dhcp or static linux: 192.168.0.4

Router: 192.168.0.2

Accespoint: 192.168.0.1

Some Qs:

- Whats an acces point ??

- Can you post the netmask you use for those ips ? Do they all use the same?

- Linux can ping windows but windows cannot ping linux, can windows ping the router ?

If windows cannot ping the router, try to see if it can ping the address 127.0.0.1, if it cannot, then itll mean the protocol TCP/IP is not correctly installed, so uninstall it and install it again, btw, what windows are u using?

And can you post the output of this commands please (from the linux machine):

- ifconfig

- route

I have never had the need to touch the files /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny, do yours content anything else than comments? (Mine are empty apart from a few comments)

I think that mandrakes firewall is off by default, but you can check in the Mandrake Control Center.

Ah btw, this got nothing to do with samba :P

:headbang::headbang:

Edited by feralertx

• 1 year later...
Guest MR_BOB

OK - I was trying to figure out a similar problem (connecting to my Mandrake 10.2 box with near top security install)...... with that level of security the good folks at Mandrake decided to make your hosts.deny file have the following line:

ALL:ALL EXCEPT 127.0.0.1:DENY

Not very nice of them if you're trying to connect. I'd advise you to have a firewall, then COMMENT OUT this line (#) - it should resolve the issue for you.

MB

I installed the ssh service and offcourse started the service. On my windows computer i installed putty to connect to my linux computer but i can' connect, what happens is putty jumps up stays in my screen for about 4 seconds with the black screen with green cursor and then quit's the entire program.

Probably you just need a line in /etc/hosts.allow that allows sshd to accept a connection request coming from the IP address of your Win machine.

See this post and the rest of the thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...dpost&p=199708e