mandrake control centre

bigjohn

In my MCC I have an icon for "Online Administration". Inside that section, it has local administration and remote administration.

If I try local, it just tell's me that it can't connect localhost to port 10000.

If I try remote, it just ask's me for a webmin address server.

Could someone tell me what these are please and how I can use them as I'd like to findout what this "Online Administration" actually is.

Thanks in advance.

regards

John

Port 10000 is the port webmin listens to - Webmin is a graphical remote admin tool. If you have webmin running (and firewall open etc..) you can log in to your machine using a web browser via the internet and change the settings of nearly everything.

Webmin is also extremely useful for general (local) admin - well worth installing (urpmi webmin).

You can then access it in any browser by typing https://<your ip address>:10000 . Note the 's'.

<your ip address> can be localhost or 127.0.0.1 if you are accessing it from the same machine.

Chris

well I installed webmin,

but it still didn't make any difference in the MCC when I tried the remote or local administration.

So I tried with "webmin" from a terminal and that started it up.

It gave me an error/warning about the certificate (which I don't quite follow), so I continued anyway and it opened the app.

But I don't follow what it's supposed to do or quite how it work's.

regards

John