After installing mdk10.0 offical, network problems

_Qwerty_

Hello!

I have a computer I have been using as a server for quite a while now, It first run mdk 8.1 for a long time. Then mdk 9.0, and mdk 9.2. Now I thought i should try out mdk 10.0 to get some newer software versions, and because I was curious about the new version overall too.

This server is a router/firewall/mailserver/webserver so without it I dont get my mail and my lady (who uses an windows computer who is on a little LAN behind this server) cant connect to the internet.

I downloaded the three cds of mdk 10.0 official download edition, and did an md5sum check before burning. Backed up my /etc and /home directories from mdk 9.2 to a cd. The installation seemed to go well, amongs other packages I installed apache, postfix. The computer has the same hardware it has runned on erlier versions of mdk, among other stuff two NICs , eth0 uses driver 8139too realtek I think its called,

eth1 tulip is an onboard one.

anyway eth0 is connected to my LAN, and eth1 is to the Internet.

To make the server share the connection with the LAN, I did as I have done on earlier versions of mdk, after install of mdk, I installed "ipkungfu" witch are an iptables script who lets a user specify only a few things to get internetconnectionsharing up and running ( what interface is internal and what is external and so on), very neat script indeed.

and i did my updates, and after that I wanted to get my mail to come in so i started to configurate postfix. I was able to send mails out with postfix/pine, but i could not get mails in to my system from other domains. I tried and I tried, changed something and did a "postfix reload" or "service postfix stop/start"

I tried to ask for help on IRC and wanted to show a nice helping guy this errormessage:

Return-Path: <>
Received: from as1-1-1.hsnd.um.bonet.se [194.237.36.146] by as1-1-1.hsnd.um.bonet.se [194.237.36.146]
       with RAW (MDaemon.PRO.v6.0.7.R)
       for <patrik@holmsund.org>; Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:49:10 +0200
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:49:10 +0200
Reply-To: BadMsgQ@as1-1-1.hsnd.um.bonet.se
Precedence: bulk
X-MDSend-Notifications-To: [trash]
Subject: Permanent Delivery Failure
To: patrik@holmsund.org
X-MDaemon-Deliver-To: patrik@holmsund.org
Message-ID: <MDAEMON0011200408071949.AA4910256@as1-1-1.hsnd.um.bonet.se>
Mime-Version: 1.0
X-Actual-From: MDaemon@as1-1-1.hsnd.um.bonet.se
X-Return-Path: <>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
 boundary="0807-1949-10-PART-BREAK"
X-Status: N
X-KMail-EncryptionState: 
X-KMail-SignatureState: 
X-KMail-MDN-Sent: 

The attached message had PERMANENT fatal delivery errors!

After one or more unsuccessful delivery attempts the attached message has
been removed from the mail queue on this server.  The number and frequency
of delivery attempts are determined by local configuration parameters.

YOUR MESSAGE WAS NOT DELIVERED TO ANY OF IT'S RECIPIENTS!

Failed address: qwerty@qwerty.is-a-geek.org

--- Session Transcript ---
MX-record resolution of [qwerty.is-a-geek.org] in progress (DNS Server: 212.181.54.3)...
Name server has no records of the requested type for that domain.
Attempting SMTP connection to [qwerty.is-a-geek.org : 25]
A-record resolution of [qwerty.is-a-geek.org] in progress (DNS Server: 212.181.54.3)...
D=qwerty.is-a-geek.org TTL=(240) A=[212.112.49.62]
Attempting SMTP connection to [212.112.49.62 : 25]
Waiting for socket connection...
Winsock Error 10060 The connection timed out.
This message is 1 days old; it has 0 days left to get delivered
--- End Transcript ---

so I made a little text file with that in and put it on http://qwerty.is-a-geek.org/postfix.txt

but the guy who tried to help me said he couldent access my web server. I then started to think postfix was perhaps not the issue but it was a firewall issue. Since above it says "waiting for socket connection... & the connection timed out"

I ran the command "ipkungfu -d" as root, whitch makes iptables allow all traffic, and voila I emediatlly got two of the many e-mails i had tried to send to qwerty@qwerty.is-a-geek.org from another domain (as in the sample shown above).

But then what was wrong with the firewall I thought...

When i rebooted I saw this at boot time:

Bringing up interface eth0        FAILED
Bringing up interface eth1          FAILED

I

and when i looked at dmesg i also saw this:

eth0 link down
eth1: no IPv6 routes present
eth0: no IPv6 routes present

also sometimes when i as root does an ifconfig it shows me an IPv6 address for both my NICs, while in "mandrake control center" under network connetions, it shows me the right setttings that i want to have, That is

eth0 should have IP:192.168.5.1

eth1 should get it's IPv4 from my ISPs dhcp server.

I have tried to be clear, but it isent easy. My guess is that something needs to be done about the networking, and when networking is working then the firewall might work better, and then I should be able to recieve my e-mail with postfix/pine, and can go on to configure the rest of the services on this computer :)

But I dont know what to try next, how to get further on...

Any ideas what i should/could do is appreciated :D

and thanks for a great forum.

Edited by _Qwerty_

The problem with postfix and that apache wasent accessible from the Internet is now solved.

I was my silly mistake, I tried hard to find it, and got "blind" of my own error. In Ipkungfu I missed to remove an comment sign (#) before what tcp ports to open up.

so thats good :)