Atheros card up and running, but......

Compiling and installing the driver seems to be the easy part. I am now in the position of seeing plenty of open APs in kismet, but not being able to connect to them. I've deleted and recreated the ath0 connection in control center a million times, created an atheros section on my wireless.opts, tried all manner of essid and channel configs in iwconfig, and tried every combination of those three I could think of. The closest I got was packets being shown on the Control Center Monitor, but no ability to load a website in Mozilla or Konqueror. Currently I am experiencing what looks like a zeroconf problem with long boot lag and an ath0:9 connection created. I've now buckled under and hooked up an external wifi adapter that uses my Ethernet. How demoralizing!. Can anyone give me some tips, or the correct files to change to get this internal card working? I feel like a fool with this antenna dongle hanging off my machine!! Help me regain my dignity! :-) Thanks in advance.

What is kismet?

You may want to give the error message from the command line such as

[root@hil root]# iwconfig ath0 essid any

[root@hil root]# ifconfig ath0 192.168.3.9

[root@hil root]# iwlist ath0 scan

Try to ping access points. e,g, the access point IP is 192.168.3.253, ping 192.168.3.253 (make sure no other ethernet interface is using 192.168.3.0). Avoiding using Mandrake Control Center in testing. If you can ping the access point, then you can get connected. Finally you have to set the default gateway and DNS then you are done.

• 1 month later...