Kernel Panic whilst installing

Remo

Hi,

I´ve done a succesful installation on a system running Windows XP of Mdk 10.0.

The running was great until through windows, the partition in which Mdk was installed was cleaned, because the message of "no more space in disk" was persiting.

It has probably errased some crucial file for startup, because each time i try it gives a kernel panic since "termination signal" has been sent.

I have tryed re-installing it, but the problem persists, since there is once again a kernel panic.

I can´t really do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like you did the fundamentally wrong thing of installing WinXP AFTER installing Mandrake . You MUST always install XP first and after it is installed then you must immediately Defrag it (yes even straight after an install) before you can even consider installing Mandrake or even attempt to try using Mandrakes install to partition the drive. It is actually preferable if you can get your hands on a copy of Partition Magic and use it to create your partitions.

A trick I often used with Win 2000 Pro was to use it to create all the various partitions I wanted and when it completed its install, I would only format the extra partitions while in Win2000 that I wanted to be used by Win2000. Sure the rest would still show up in Win2000, but only until I installed Mandrake on those remaining unformatted partitions that were left.

I would presume the same could be done with XP.

I would also urge you to to use GRUB as your boot loader. Even though Lilo has a glitzier style, it is more prone to screwing up the MBR and thus requiring remedial treatment to gain access to XP. Grub is also easier to edit later and does not require reinstall as does Lilo. All round it is easier and in my opinion much more reliable and stable.

Cheers. John.